1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modern sound vintage/familiar looks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Triassic Ash, Nov 5, 2013.

1. As the title says I'm looking into getting a new bass, and I'd like one that has a hi-fi/versatile sound, but also has a familiar aesthetic and feel. So far I'm looking at a used Sadowsky metro, Lakland 55-02/44-02, and EBMM Bongo (I know it isn't "familiar or vintage looking) Anyways. Can any of you guys give an opinion on any of these aforementioned basses, or point me to some others that you think might fit what I'm looking for?

2. Most active Jazz basses will fit your description to a T.

3. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    g&l sb-2 or L2000?

4. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    The Lakland JJ's are a good place to start as well.
    You can add a preamp to a DJ or JO. Or you'd get an AJ.
    But you can't go wrong with a Sadowsky, either.

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Since you have not mentioned a genre, a budget, or even a musical level, I'd say, get anything, play a lot, find the aforementioned details, and get back to us. The look is easy.

6. VeganThump

VeganThump

Jun 29, 2012
    South Jersey
    This is the exact reason I got my Fender Deluxe Jazz V.

7. leroy diamond

leroy diamond Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2005
    ireland
    Of the 3 basses you mentioned Sadowsky is the winner by a distance. I have owned all 3.