Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

modern sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nunk6, Jun 23, 2001.

1. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    what is a bass that in your opinion achieves a very modern bass tone?

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Steinberger with EMGs...

3. Ibanez Soundgear. Mud fat bottom. Not too much midbass. 1 year sustain.

4. Yamaha John Pattitucci w/ piezo, Any Zon, MTD's, Modulus Quantums, Roscoes, Ken Smiths can sound modern or vintage....

Hope this helps.

5. I think Warwicks have a great modern sound, but you could be a little more specific on what you mean by modern.

6. I believe much of the more modern sound comes from the pickups. My 4-5 month old Schecter 5 string has dual EMG pickups that give it a very modern sound, with plenty of growl. I would imagine Spector, Ibanez, Dean, and others of similiar build will give you a nice moden sound. I assume you're trying to get together a short list of basses to try out. It's important to play as many basses as you need to, to get a better comparison.

7. kezekiel

kezekiel

Sep 24, 2000
    I have a Soundgear 810, and it does have a "hot", bright, active tone. I run it through a SansAmp Bass DI in tube amp emulation mode, and that warms it up considerably.

As for what constitutes a "modern" tone, I would say brightness, ringing sustain... almost piano-like. An extreme example would be John Entwhistle's sound.

Though come to think of it, maybe it's best to characterize "modern" tone as what it *isn't* - warm, fat, bassy, boomy... like Paul McCartney. Flatwounds on a passive bass. That's un-modern.

8. phunky345

phunky345

Jun 20, 2000
    Missoula, MT
    my Yamaha rbx-765 has a very bright sound with its preamp. It also gets a cool bossa sound, which is really fun because most bossa nova music seems to lack the phatness my bass boost can add to that jazzy sound. it's really cool, you should all own a Yamaha.

9. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    My Sterling. Big, grunty but focused lows, sparkling highs and boingy mids. But, I can tweak the EQ and still get a "vintage" tone on demand. What more could you ask for?

10. Paleale brings up a good point. You need to get a bass that will give you a lot of sonic flexibility from the pickups AND THE EQ. If you pick up a vintage Fender or a hollowbody, you're going to get a "one trick pony" - a bass that only produces that sound.

Get a bass that can get lots of highs, with a lot of power from the bridge pickup for fusion, latin, solos, etc. But that same bass should also have a Precision clone sound, where when you roll off the highs and use the neck pickup, it SOUNDS like flatwounds on a passive P bass.

11. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    You're absolutely right Zon4 John. The beauty of "modern" basses is the tonal flexibility and these features are something all up and coming players should consider when purchasing a new bass.

12. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Even though some basses have tons of switches and knobs, I find most basses really only have a one or two useable tones. Just because you have a split humbucker and a pickup selector doesn't mean it sounds like a p bass. It is usually just an approximation of one, usually I can tell the difference. There are some exceptions, my Elrick has a very musicial eq, but alot of times I think all those knobs are just for show.

13. kezekiel

kezekiel

Sep 24, 2000
    I know what you mean. My Ibanez's tone circuitry is so lame, I flatten it out and use my SansAmp's eq. Which leads me to a question...

...I'm considering building a custom Warmouth bass with Seymour Duncan passive P-J's, and putting only a volume and blend knob on the bass. All eq I'll handle on the SansAmp. I have three concerns:

1) Can I still get a "modern" tone using the passive pups with the SansAmp, with the kind of clarity and cut that I get with my active pickups? I guess I figure that since the SansAmp has an active preamp in it, that I wouldn't need an onboard one.

2) With the tone circuit disabled on the bass, will what comes through the jack be just like a tone knob set in the middle?

3) Will the wiring that will come with the Seymours accomodate a blend knob? Anything extra that I would need to do?

Anybody tried this, or know enough to advise me? Thanks!

Kevin

14. Amen to that brother! I just bought a BB5NII. Whoa!
    I also checked out the bass you have; it just sounds delicious!

Mike J.