Modern speakers in older cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 8va, Sep 16, 2005.

1. 8va

Jul 16, 2004
    I was looking at a small (about a 12 inch cube) of an amp in a music shop the other day. I cost £350/$577, and rated at 80 watts rms. It was *not* a bass amp but what interested me was the speaker. It looked to be about only 6 inch diam. which is pretty small for that power. They also had some speakers to be fitted in cars - one was 400W and only 12 inches diam. When no one was looking I had a gentle feel of the cone - it felt very "plastic like". I guess some modern material was used to make it - maybe a mylar type material?

Anyway, I was wondering if it would be possible/practical/sensible to retro fit one of these modern high-power speakers in a older bass amp - like my TE 300W combo? (assuming impedance matching is sorted out of course)

There are a few reasons I ask;
    1) the TE is one weighty beast and while is a fabulous amp, I wish it was lighter to carry about :) and as most of the weight is the speaker...
    2) Would there be any improvement in performance - from a sound point of view?

I know the TE purists won't like this idea, but I prefer to be practical if possible. And, in any case *if* I did this, I'd mount the new speaker on a removable baffle board so the original speaker could easily be restored to the combo.

Be interested in you speaker experts thoughts/info on any of the above - especially info about what these new speakers are made of - and are they any good?
  2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The exotic material you're referring to is called plastic and has been used as a speaker cone material for some 30 odd years. Polypropylene is the most commonly used, there are others, and they are most often employed in home and auto sound applications. For the most part pro-sound drivers do not use plastics, they remain primarily paper-pulp, although other reinforcing materials are often added to the mix.