Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modification of a Dunlop Crybaby

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bogart, Jun 5, 2004.

1. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    Has anybody out there ever modded a Dunlop crybaby wah for bass? If so any advise as far as parts to use or tricks I can use would be appreciated.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Only mod I do is true bypass. $35 on the old ones. I don't touch the white ones.

3. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    This thing just sounds real weak with my bass. I;m trying to figure out if I should bother with it or buy a bass wah. Just got this thing for free.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not a Bass wah huh? Which model are you using?

5. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    There is a 0.01uf cap in the guitar crybaby. The bass version uses a 0.068uf cap. I'd start out by swaping that part out. Should shift the wah frequency down into the bass range.

Here is a great site with lots of other (simple) mods for the crybaby: http://members01.chello.se/pastorn/fx/mods/dunlop.htm

6. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    hell yes! Thanks a bunch. That site (and a couple links from it) have not only answered my question, It has inspired me to try some other mods as well.

7. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Any idea if the white ones can be modded for true bypass at all? I'd imagine it'd be difficult, given their "auto-on" feature.

8. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    if anyone's interested, i swapped out the .01 cap with a .1 cap. This lil crybaby freakin wails like a banshee. By far and away the best wah I've ever heard on a bass.