1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Modified combo cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RSJ4STRING, Apr 25, 2009.

1. RSJ4STRING

RSJ4STRING

Aug 24, 2007
    Has anybody every (and I'm sure plenty have) removed a bad head out of a combo and just used the cab? I have done this with great success with a ba210 ampeg. Just wondering.

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Usually the cabs in combos have limited capability. They're built just to handle the combo. Using it with an external head may be disappointing, but it'll work fine.

You'll have to do a little minor wiring work to install an input jack.

3. RSJ4STRING

RSJ4STRING

Aug 24, 2007
    Well here's the digs. I really liked the amp, but the head kept giving me trouble then finally it crapped out. After a friend and I installed a 1/4 input jack I bought a br2 head, it's made a really cool looking, and really good sounding rig. Were the head was mounted in the top it didn't leave a big hole in front so it looks like a regular 210 cab, and were it's 4 ohm I get the max power and punchy-ness from the amp. I'll try to post some pics.

4. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    so--- was the amplifier unit encased separately from the speaker, or is there now a "head-shaped" hole where the aomp used to be?

if it is the latter, you might be in danger of destroying your speakers from over excursion. at the very least, you are almost guaranteed to hear a marked improvement by sealing up the box.

5. RSJ4STRING

RSJ4STRING

Aug 24, 2007
    No thats the cool thing, and what give me the idea to start with. The BA series combos head sits vertically in the back of the amp so it's kinda lika cab with an amp stuck in it. What give me the idea was when I took it apart to look for connection probs I seen it was still sealed, so all I had to do was change the input to 1/4'' from that gay looking input it had. The B2 sits perfect on top. I'll try to send some pics.

6. I have an SWR WM 12 that I bought new in 1996 that I've always liked, and thought it would make a decent 112 cab.

To that end, I bought a non-working SWR WM12 a couple of years ago, pulled the head out and cut the "top" of the cab off where the amp mounts, replaced the carpet, cut a hole in the back and mounted a jack plate with an on/off switch for the tweeter and rigged the "crossover" from the amp to work in the cab. Worked great for what it was, but I got impatient and sold it; my intention had been to buy another non-working WM12 at some point and rework it so I could have a pair.

7. RSJ4STRING

RSJ4STRING

Aug 24, 2007
    So how did it sound? Sound like a cool mod to me.

8. Depending on the amp, it sounded pretty good, to my ears at least. It worked well as an extension cab with my WM12 and I tried it with an SWR WM 160 head and liked it. However, I had a GK 800RB at the time and didn't care for that combination at all.

9. RSJ4STRING

RSJ4STRING

Aug 24, 2007
    Really! I always dug the 800rbs.

10. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I saw in another thread someone took the head out of a Fender B-Dec or similar small combo and put a LMII head - or similar - in. Cool idea.

11. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    My GK 2x10 combo's head pulls out. It's missing a top and sides, plus rack ears. You can buy these parts from GK, but the cost is a little more than I would want to spend. The area for the head is separate from the cab, so it doesn't affect performance. GK heads are only around 8 inches deep, and the pull out handle mounts to the head, so replacing with a non GK head would pose some mount-up problems, but you could work around it. Its also easy to patch the hole left by the head with a small piece of plywood and some black speaker carpet. I have racked the head before by fabbing up some rack ears. I swapped out the RBH speakers for some B&C neo's, which are now 4 ohm. It absolutely rocks. I have a hard time finding a combo as loud with as much definition. The mids of those B&C PA speakers just growl at you. It's an expensive mod for someone who doesn't have the drivers hanging around ($150ish each). They extend low enough for drop D, and stay clean and controlled. Punchy, tightened bottom end, but do not roll off above drop D. it was what I was looking for. Also at 4 ohm, there is a ton of headroom. dropped some 15 pounds going neo. I had a noisy GK MB500, or would have dropped even more weight and gained a rackspace for my wireless system. Best mod for me yet.
    Wes

12. riker1384

riker1384

Jan 2, 2007
    Ampeg used to make a combo called the B-3158 that had a 15" and an 8". I've wondered if one of those could be used to make one of these 3015LF+midrange cabinets that are all the rage right now on talkbass. It would probably weigh something like 65 pounds with the amp removed and the neo speaker put it, and on top of that it has tilt-back casters to make it even easier to move. It's a tall, narrow cabinet, so the midrange is pretty far off the ground. It would probably have to take an 8" mid though, instead of the 6's that people are using.

Attached Files:

13. I liked the head well enough, just not with the modified WM12 combo/cab. To my ears at least.