Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modified Fender P Bass Deluxe - change value?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Steve Doss, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Steve Doss

Steve Doss

Jun 27, 2005
    I am looking at trying out a Duluxe American P Bass and have an opportunity to purchase one locally for $700.00 w/case. It plays well but haven't yet been in a position to connect to an amp to hear it. The bridge pickup has been changed out to a Bartolini pickup with a 3 way switch added in between the rear two tone controls knobs. I believe it is used for a front/back/both setting for the Bartolini pick up. The work looks good but I am concerned that the modification would decrease the value. Anybody have some thoughts or experience with this?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Yes, ANY mod lowers the value. Of course, if you're planning on playing it for 20 years who cares? The value only matters as far as your ability to buy it for a lower price.

$700 is still OK if you really like the bass and condition is otherwise excellent.

3. Steve Doss

Steve Doss

Jun 27, 2005
    Yeah, that's what I thought. To be honest I don't really know what I want yet as far as a bass guitar (still looking for that sound and feel). I thought if I buy used at a decent price I can give it a good test drive at home and with the group for a couple of months, if I don't like it I sell it. I'm sure I am not new to this method as it is hard to get a good fell for an instrument playing at the local music store through a different amp.