Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modified Jazz Bass Shootout

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Dec 20, 2002.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Here's something to think about: How about a thread for TBer's to show off their hot-rodded Jazz basses (and P Basses too... I suppose. ;)) for the sole purpose of obtaining bragging rights and all the glory that can be obtained in such a competition.

If I get enough responses/support, I'll start a new thread reposting each bass as well as a poll that will be open for a certain number of days. TBer's can vote for their favorite based on visual appeal, sound, etc.

The contest will be open to Fenders, Essexi, Squiers, etc. No ringers, please, like Sadowskys or Hotwires. That's just not fair. ;)

If anybody is interested, feel free to post a pic of your modified bass and a list of what you did to it, as well as a sound clip if you have one. Or contact me via PM. I doubt it will come to this, but I guess we'll have to limit the contest to the first 20 entries.

Is this thread a Good idea? Bad idea? Entries? Please share.

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    It's a great idea. I would even scrounge a digital camera to get in on this one.

Dan

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Here's my Super Jazz:

[​IMG]

It's a MIA '75 Reissue from the first year they were available. Curbow said it had the best neck he had ever felt on a Fender. If you know Curbow, you know he gives out about 5 compliments a year. :D

What I've done to it:
    JRetro
    5% overwound Fralin Pickups
    Tortoiseshell pickguard
    sanded the gloss off the back of the neck (it's still sealed--just satin finish now)
    TI Jazz Rounds

The only thing I have left to do is bug Dude about getting some black lower knobs for the JRetro to give it that Jazz stacked knob look.

It had a BadAss II bridge on there, but I put the stock bridge back on when I added the bridge cover back to it. I actually prefer the way the stock bridge sounds, too.

Here's an mp3:
    http://www.mindspring.com/~jshew2/FreakoutPillow.mp3

Pretty much everyone who has played it has loved it, and half of them offer to buy it (or, threaten to steal it--SoyBase, I'm looking at you :p).

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've thought about your '75 reissue since I played it at the get together. As for Greg, is it up to 5 now? :D

5. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Heh, the bass is now actually nicer than when you played it, too. Scary, huh?

6. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    bassmonkeee, dude, your bass has the sound that I totally love! It just has that... solid, full sound that makes me wanna splooge... :p

7. I bet you only want to do this "competition" because you have the coolest bass of all and want to show off. :D

What about a stock bass competition? See who has the most boring bass. :cool:

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin

That's only the half truth. ;) Yeah, I was planning on entering my bass, but it's not like I would have an edge. We can only vote once. :D

9. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Bassmonkee,

How dou you like the Fralin 5% overwounds? Are they clear sounding? How the string to string balance?

10. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    I actually went for the Bassmonkee package as well :) . I must have mis-read the contract, I could have sworn the skills came along with that...
    It sounds good though.
    Mine's just a boring candy apple MIM with a few extra goodies :

-J-retro
    -5% overwound Fralin
    -Badass II
    -TI Jazz flats

Set up by Bassmonkee's guitarist... :eek:
    all this in a non-stalker sort of way, of course.

11. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Leave my package alone, Pal. "All this in a non-stalker sort of way, of course," Indeed. :mad:

:D

I can't wait to compare them at the next Atl Bass Get Together.

Did Jake do a good job for ya? You should see the guitar he built for himself. Very nice stuff.

12. The only actual "Fender" part on it is the tuners:

[​IMG]

Warmoth neck and body, Basslines J/MM pickups, J-Retro preamp (not shown), Gotoh bridge, Fender tuners (the weak link).

Mike

13. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Doh...I left that one out there. I should re-read my posts prior to posting. New Years resolution.

Jake did a good job. Nicer than the tech guy at the GC in North ATL.
    I'm very happy with the Fralin/J-retro marriage. That John East is a smart cookie.

14. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Monkee...email me your shipping address Bro...black lower knobs in...Merry Christmas bro. Killer looking bass!

Excuse me for not remembering but is that MIA '75 Jazz the one I had in stock last summer?

15. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I got one for you!

Dimarzio Model J's
    Hipshot Tuners w/Extender
    Dunlop StrapLocks
    62 reissue pickguard
    pickup cover

Aside from that, a stock Geddy Lee... but it looks cool as hell and sounds great!

[​IMG]

P@

16. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Wow, you guys have pretty classy basses... maybe I don't want to lose in this contest after all...

Nah, I do. :D Keep 'em coming!

17. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Joe Osborne 5 with a J Retro.
    pmkelly and bassmonkee set the bar unfairly high.

18. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    hey 'chuck... I am jealous of bassmonkee's MIA myself! That JO5 is killer looking, my sunburst/maple neck JO5 should be here today or tomorrow!

P@

19. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Hmm... a couple more entries and we might have ourselves a contest. I don't know if I want to enter mine anymore. :D

And remember! Sound clips if you got 'em!

20. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Well, here goes anyways. Here's a pic of me bass:
    [​IMG]
    (I wish I had a better picture- I will steal my sisters digital camera later this week.)

1998-9 MIM Jazz Bass- Midnight Blue
    Bartolini humbuckers
    Gotoh 201 Bridge
    Warmoth vintage Jazz knobs
    Warmoth Silver Pearloid Pickguard, trimmed to fit a MIM
    Stew-Mac pots and Switchcraft output jack

And here's a sound clip. Now, these little clips were all one take, but we're judging tone, not playing ability, right? ...right? :D The first segment is mostly the bridge pickup, then both pickups, then the soloed neck with the tone at 50%, and then the same played thumb/palm mute style. Ooh yeah.

The clip is the line out of my Hartke B60 straight into my sound card with no EQ or effects. I cannot turn off the notch filter, though, so there is a 20dB cut at 770Hz.

Pearl Jazz Bass Clip