Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modified my Ergodyne: 9V => 18V!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tightanic, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Tightanic

Tightanic Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2000
    NYC
    Hello!
    Yesterday I installed a second battery in my Ibanez Ergodyne EDB 605, wired in series for doubling the voltage. The first thing I noticed is that everything works fine, nothing was harmed. I noticed a slight improvement in clarity and punch, but nothing spectacular. Has anyone else ever done s.th. like this, especially to cheap electronics?

Johannes

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've done it a couple of times to give extra db headroom.

Not all preamps support it. I have an Aguilar OBP-3 in my Modulus Flea bass, and it could get by with 9v but it's definitely got more kick with 18v.

My warwick thumb 5 also has an OBP-3 preamp, as well as active EMG pickups. In this case, I found I needed to go to 18v otherwise I was getting some distortion at high volume settings with 9v.

3. Tightanic

Tightanic Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2000
    NYC
    I don't think that the EQB-III electronics (propably a MightyMite product) "support" 18V use. I just wanted to find out what it does for me, eventhough I knew that I was exceeding the specified voltage. Yesterday I recorded some takes in the studio, and the modification didn't seem to improve things much. Raising the pickups had a more noticable effect on the sound, but nothing can really compensate for the very transparent (in a negative way) and lifeless sound of my very "special" Ergodyne. I guess it somehow slipped through quality control, because another one which I played sounded much more defined. Unfortunately I didn't notice that as I bought it, I was just amazed by it's smooth feel (compared to the Yamaha RBX I had owned before)...:rolleyes:

Johannes