1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

modified vintage mod's??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mrniceguy715, Jun 9, 2007.

1. mrniceguy715

mrniceguy715

May 2, 2006
    oklahoma
    i searched but couldnt get a good result. I am getting a great deal on a dead mint vintage mod 70's style squier. Since its like more than 100 under msrp I was thinkng....... upgrade.

Maybe a preamp? Bad ass bridge? tuners? waiting till I get it in my hands. but from what i have been able to find most like the pickups and hardware. I think just cause I like to have the boost and cut I want to add a pre

2. steve21

steve21 Inactive

Maybe a Badass II + Aguilar OBP-2?

And if you eventually decide, hipshot UL tuners and Nordstrand pickups.

Now that'd be a pretty sweet J.

3. mrniceguy715

mrniceguy715

May 2, 2006
    oklahoma
    well I went and picked it up best thing I ever played for $150 bucks. I like the pick up and the tuners are pretty nice. Only thing I havent liked so far is the pickguard. The screws where a tad crooked... you can only tell when looning down while playing. I was thinking maybe a tort will do me for now. maybe a audere in a month or two?

4. If anyone has the VM Jazz Fretless....stick on some SD Steve Bailey sig Pickups to get a supercharged fretless sound.

5. I got a 70's VM - it's superb. I've added an East pre which is simply the dogs. Had to widen the cavity a tad though. Pickups are fine - might just add a Bad Ass at a later date.

6. FanOfAlice

FanOfAlice

Nov 8, 2006
    Wisconsin
    i just got this bass also and noticed it has a ground type hum. one where its quiet when you touch the strings but has a static/hum/noisy sound when your not. does anyone else notice this and if so how do you fix it. other than that its a great bass.

7. allenhumble

allenhumble Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    Where would you order a pickguard for this bass?

8. Take off the strings and bridge. You'll find a wire coming out of the body. With some emery cloth roughen up the underside of the bridge where the exposed end of the wire touches the bridge. Make sure there's plenty of bare wire touching the underside of the bridge. Reassemble, then make sure the other end of the wire that goes to the bridge is securely soldered to ground - ie one of the cases of the pots. Hope this helps.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2021