1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modifing rear port Eden D410T?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BG6654, Apr 9, 2010.

1. BG6654

BG6654

Sep 28, 2006
    Nashville
    I've got a D410T rear port design that I've not liked using in cub situations. Thinking it's due to the rear port blowing off the back wall??

Hoping someone may have a mod suggestion that may have worked. Short of selling it, or cutting a random hole & blocking the back, I'd appreciate any ideas??

Thanks!!

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Don't touch it. The rear port placement has no effect unless you put the cab so tight to the wall that it gets blocked, so don't do that and you'll be fine. Six inches of clearance is all you need.

3. BG6654

BG6654

Sep 28, 2006
    Nashville
    Sometimes neurosis takes hold and drives me over a cliff.. I appreciate the response from a true professional and will definitely leave well enough alone..
    Again thanks,
    Bryan

4. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    I tried to "re-port" an SWR GoliathII 410 from rear to front ported and it was bad.

Sell the cab if you don't like the inconsistencies from gig to gig with a rear ported cab.

5. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Maybe it's because your cab is only rated to 80HZ.
    Stick a 15 under it or get a wider range 410..XLT?
    Or a Bergantino?

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Few 4x10s are actually flat below 80Hz. Those that claim to go lower leave out the fine details, like an SPL chart that shows what they actually do below 80Hz. Few 15s go lower than a 4x10, fewer still go as loud, and the brand of cab has little to do with anything.
    The OP has noticed that he gets different results in different rooms, and that has everything to do with the room, nothing to do with his rig. Knowing what might help requires a better explanation from him of the difficulties he's experiencing.

7. A 4x10 + 1x15 is a poor combination. Most people assume that a 15 will produce more lows than a 10. This is completely wrong. This combination will have the lower efficiency and power handling of the 15 trying to keep up with the 4x10. Almost every time the 15 will end up damaged.

Paul

8. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    A 4ohm 410 and an 8ohm 115 would help with 15" damage.

9. Agreed, but it won't make the 15 produce more low end.

Paul

10. duff2

duff2 Guest

Dec 16, 2007
    I have been using this cabinet for over 10 years now. AFAIC, it's still as good (or better) than most of the 410 designs currently available (regardless of what's written on any manufacturer's spec sheet). Any issues you are having with the D410T are most likely due to the sonic properties of the room you are in or the stage you are on, and not the cabinet itself.

What is the issue exactly? Did your bass sound too boomy? Not enough bottom end? Something else? Whatever the issue, if you have a decent eq section on your bass amp, you should be able to address it there and not by modifying the port.

Cheers,
    Duff2