Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modify a Stingray 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Laker, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Laker

Laker

Mar 23, 2000
    I would like to put a set of Lakland/Bartolini pups and preamp in my Stingray 5 to see if I can get the same wide range of tones out of it as I get from my 55-94's. Since moving to Lakland basses the Ray spends its time in the case so I thought it might breath some life into the old axe.

Has anybody tried these mods on a Stingray5?

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    would they even sell you the electronics? i dont think bart offers the mm pickup they use in laklands(dual 9j?) to the public. other than the bridge pickup being farther from the bridge than on the lakland, it should work.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The problem with putting a racing saddle on a mule is that, not only will you not have a race horse, but you won't have a good pack animal anymore, either.

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i agree. don't go any further than replacing the pickups/electronics. and especially don't do any routing.

but if you want a lakland - get one! skylines are cheap :)

5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    im pretty sure he already has two laklands. hes just trying to get some use out of the ray.

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    that's my point though - why make the stingray something it's not? either enjoy it for it's stingray-ness or sell it and buy another lakland.

7. Laker

Laker

Mar 23, 2000
    I am inquiring because I would like to experiment with the MM. I endorse Lakland basses and have a pair I really enjoy playing. The Stingray5 has been sitting idle for a couple of years and really has no value beyond a few hundred dollars and I thought it would be an ideal candidate for modification. I'm not trying to make it into a Lakland, just wondering if I can make it a little more versatile.

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Wow, unless it's completely trashed, I'll gladly give you $200 for a 'Ray5. Maybe even 3. ;)

A used 'Ray 5 in good condition with a hard case can just about always bring 8 bills. Not sure what's wrong with yours to make it worth so little.

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I was thinking the same thing.

10. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I say leave the stingray as is.. no need for modification IMO. If its just sitting around, you should sell it, someone will gladly take it off your hands..

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd do it. If you can't get the Lakland Barts, I'm sure they make something close. There's nothing special about Stingrays, really. Put those Barts in, and there'll be something special with yours. It's a grand idea. Maybe I'll do it to mine.

By the way, I endorse Lakland too. And endorse them and endorse them, but they never send me any free basses. What's the deal on that?

12. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I did it that exact mod w/ a set of Lakland Barts that I found for sale, used on the net. I made it passive just to check it out for awhile.

The bass went up for sale less than 3 weeks later.

I wouldn't mess with it.

I'm actually not a fan of that particular model of Barts either. IMHO, they need the active circuit just to breath some life into them.

Your mileage may vary.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    marc, if you don't like the Barts, why'd you do it? I still think it'd be a major improvement. Don't listen to marc.

14. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Well.... Running around naked in the street with your bass strapped to you screaming "LAKLAND" doesn't constitute as endorsing..... ;)... i only smile because i've seen him do it once...um... gotta go

15. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I still have yet to hear a set of Barts I think sound good, so I say, don't do it!!!

16. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

In 97, I had Lane Poor install a HB in my Ray 5. He did excellent work. He had to install brass inserts and mill a boss for them.
    The pickup sounds great. Very clean and woody. It however does not work the same as the MM electronics allow. I only get one sound.
    BTW, I also had the frets pulled and filled and put on flats for a totally different animal.
    There is nothing shoddy about a MM bass. Some are better though.
    I did not like my Lake 55-94 dlx (Bart pups) for what I wanted. It may be OK for country and western music, or jazz, but it's not a rock and roll bass.
    Build quality was super, and it played great though.
    I traded for an F Bass. More rock oreinted.

17. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    You had to go and say something :)

18. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    That is the deal ;)

19. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    marc, if you don't like the Barts, why'd you do it? I still think it'd be a major improvement. Don't listen to marc.

I didn't know that I didn't like that particular model of Barts because I hadn't heard them until after I had them installed. I've heard basses that sound great w/ barts - I'm just not a fan of that particular model/configuration. I've messed around w/ a few Laklands since and it's only confirmed my take on the Barts.

Don't get me wrong, they're a solidly designed pickup... It's just not my taste.

Funny thing that someone mentioned the Lane Poor... That was in the bass before the Bartolini/Lakland mod. It was a double wide arperture model (In hindsight, I should've went w/ the Humbucker model.)

My personal recommendation is to try a few different pickups that are drop in replacements, maybe a different active circuit too. You've already got a couple(? ) Laklands - at the end of the day, the Stingray will never be one.

Try an Alnico pickup for a different flavor or string it (EADGC) or as a Piccolo etc...

I wouldn't take a router to it.

That's my advice for the week...I've got a lot of stuff to do.

Increase the peace.

20. Laker

Laker

Mar 23, 2000
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by boogiebass

A used 'Ray 5 in good condition with a hard case can just about always bring 8 bills. Not sure what's wrong with yours to make it worth so little.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is nothing wrong with my '89 Stingray except the finish has deteriated from several hard years of use. Its a nice playing bass but lacks the balls of my Laklands.

quote:
    Originally posted by Munjibunga

By the way, I endorse Lakland too. And endorse them and endorse them, but they never send me any free basses. What's the deal on that?

Munji, the endorsement doesn't get you a free bass, only a discount.