1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Modify Bass from J/J to J/MM?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by funkysurfer, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Hello all. I would like to upgrade my pre-amp and pup's in my early 90's Carvin LB75. The bass plays great, however, the sound isn't quite where I would like it to be. Here is my interpretation of how it sounds now: midrangy, a bit high (but not bright) and lacks "warmth" in the low end. Also,this bass has ZERO "growl factor" and that needs to change as well.

I must say I LOVE the sound of a MusicMan Stingray! I would like to get that same sound from my bass, but also have versatility. My idea to acheive this would be to upgrade the back jazz pup with a MM humbucker and change out the pre.

Has anybody done the J to MM changout and what are your thoughts before & after?

Or, can I achieve the sound qualities I'm seeking including a nice growl by keeping the 2 J style pups (just upgrade them) and upgrade the pre-amp?

Here is my current configuration:
    Mahogany Body & Mahogany Neck (through body)
    Ebony Fretboard
    2 - Jazz style pups
    Stock pre with Vol, Blend, Bass, & Treble

Thanks!

Shawn

2. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I've been wanting to add a mm pup to a bass as well. I love my lb70p (maho body and 5pc maho/maple neck) but rarely do I use the HB2 (mm) by itself. I think it lacks a little low end but that could be it's position. I have a 96/97 lb75af (h50n's)with the older preamp (no passive pull up vol.) and while it wears labella tapewounds on it, it doesn't have the energy behind it like the lb70p.