Modify Bass from J/J to J/MM?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by funkysurfer, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Hello all. I would like to upgrade my pre-amp and pup's in my early 90's Carvin LB75. The bass plays great, however, the sound isn't quite where I would like it to be. Here is my interpretation of how it sounds now: midrangy, a bit high (but not bright) and lacks "warmth" in the low end. Also,this bass has ZERO "growl factor" and that needs to change as well.

I must say I LOVE the sound of a MusicMan Stingray! I would like to get that same sound from my bass, but also have versatility. My idea to acheive this would be to upgrade the back jazz pup with a MM humbucker and change out the pre.

Has anybody done the J to MM changout and what are your thoughts before & after?

Or, can I achieve the sound qualities I'm seeking including a nice growl by keeping the 2 J style pups (just upgrade them) and upgrade the pre-amp?

Here is my current configuration:
    Mahogany Body & Mahogany Neck (through body)
    Ebony Fretboard
    2 - Jazz style pups
    Stock pre with Vol, Blend, Bass, & Treble

2. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I've been wanting to add a mm pup to a bass as well. I love my lb70p (maho body and 5pc maho/maple neck) but rarely do I use the HB2 (mm) by itself. I think it lacks a little low end but that could be it's position. I have a 96/97 lb75af (h50n's)with the older preamp (no passive pull up vol.) and while it wears Labella tapewounds on it, it doesn't have the energy behind it like the lb70p.