Modify Lakland Prototype?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andrew Jones, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I own a Lakland Prototype 55-02 it has a 34 inch scale Imput jck on the top normal bone nut (no Zero Fret like First produtions) Small 4 string Bart pick ups.

Bone Stock.Very Light Kinda Beat Up.Love the 34 inch scale (comfy bass!) Its my I dont wannna scratch my pretty bass Go to bass........

Potential Collectors Item? Probally.

Here the Deal, I'm not psyched over the sound. Bartalini Pick ups old bart Pre.

I think of wrouting the Body for the Normal size pick ups Painting it pretty. Putting in Duncans and a Aguilar OB3 (has mid range knob).

What to Do.......

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I'd rather just replace the pre-amp and put the OBP3 in there.
    I hope you know this will ruin the collectability value.

Anyway, what do you not like about the sound?
  3. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    well its very dark. Gets lost in a dense mix easily. Kinda unorganic synthy sound.

Ofcorse I know it will ruin what ever colectors value it may have/get.

4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    The Aguilar and Bartolini stuff sounds somewhat similar. You might want to consider the Duncan Bassline stuff in your bass. I played a 55-94 equipped with the Duncan electronics, and it was probobly the best 55-94 that I have played to date. The Duncan stuff seems to have more life. It seemed hotter and brighter and more able to cut and be heard.
  5. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Yes thats what I'm saying. Duncans,Aguilar Pre.

I believe it will toneally shift in the right direction.

6. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Ohh..... I missunderstood you, your saying Duncan Pre as well?

7. I'm thinking along similar lines. I own a 55-94 Classic that I love, but I've haven't been happy with the Bartolini pickups - they do sound a bit too dark for my tastes.

I was thinking that a switch to the Basslines pu's will do it for me. I've heard people say that the Basslines will make the Lakland sound a bit more like a Stingray...
  8. If you're gonna muss it up and you want to cut through, you may wanna try putting EMGs with the bass X-pander in it. A J/MM EMG setup in a Lakland is close to perfection in my book (just needs a graphite neck :bassist: )
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Frankly, I wouldn't touch the thing... prototypes are always collectors item's eventually.

But if you're not woried about resale value and you love the bass and bought it to be a player, hack away.
  10. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Get in touch with Carey Nordstrand and have him build you a set of pickups to fit exactly what you have!

It will cost you the same or cheaper.... than getting crappy basslines and cutting your bass.

Does the Bart Pre have the mid adjustment?
    Mess with that......if not.....

Aguilar OBP-3 would be a consideration.

11. nismaniac

Feb 21, 2005
    OKC, OK
    can you post any pics of this bass. And you said "prototype 55-02", so its the skyline model not the american 55-94?
  12. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    My Bad, 55-94. American

13. nismaniac

Feb 21, 2005
    OKC, OK
    Ok, I just wanted to make sure I was thinking of the same bass. Man I would really like to see some pics if you have some. I am a big Lakland fan, own a 55-02 and a DJ5 with J-retro is on the way, and this bass sounds really interesting. I've know about Lakland for quite a while, but I didn't know the first ones were on a 34in scale with a zero fret. Sounds interesting, how does it play/sound?

By the way, I would definitely leave that one alone. It is a very unique bass, and a great piece of bass history. Lakland is a great brand and will only get better as time goes on.
  14. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Plays Great .Except it speaks slow,Wich I think has alot to do with the Tone. Its Dark Sounding. Nice in a Trio. the B is Solid,Sounds good. I bet the 35 inch scales sound better.

By the way I love lakland's Mainly because of the customer service and that the american ones can be had for good deals If your Tactful. Of course they're great instruments.

Ok one vote for keep it stock. I'm suprised I havent heard more

Tiny Pic

Notice imput Jack, Fret Markers Pick up size. Doesnt say Lakland on the Bridge

Attached Files:

15. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I'm also a lakland fan, Dan has been so helpful, I currently only own one but I will buy at least one more in a near futur.
    I would keep the bass as it is, like you said you can buy another one for a pretty good price, so I would wait and keep an eye for a bargain.