Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modify or Replace???

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by emre03, Sep 23, 2003.

1. emre03

emre03

Sep 18, 2000
    Turkey,Istanbul
    Hi;
    Recently i sold my yamaha trb6II and bought a cort artisan 5.It features a neck-tru figured maple body and neck and bartolini mk-1 eqs.
    At first i liked its bright sound after my trb(ash body) but now i hate it because i can't get a good mid boost.It has a 3-band eq but i can't get an mid-mid or low-mid boost, i only can get a high-mid boost...
    Also even when i play it unplugged it still sounds too bright and trebly.
    My question is: Can I add more growl and punch(and even some deep sweet tone) to this insturment by replacing the pickups(i think about installing a quad-dual-single(neck-mid-brdige) coil pickups combination) and the eq(and may be intalling a BlueQube)? or should i try to sell this one and buy a new bass?

2. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How do you like the feel of the bass? If it feels great, and you think you'll have a hard time finding something that feels as good, go ahead and start replacing preamp, pickups, or whatever. However, you can't be sure of how it will sound like until you've done it. In that aspect it's easier to try other basses for the right sound, and just buy a new one.

And about the BlueQube, if you want a low-mid boost, i wouldnt advise it, since it's a passive mid-cut only.

3. thewalrus81

thewalrus81 Guest

Sep 19, 2003
    Dallas TX
    like hujo said

if you like the feel of the bass and everthing about it except for the lack of mid boost then keep it and starting modifying it. if theres anything else that you dont like about it or something big that bugs you then sell it and get something you like better

4. RobbieK

RobbieK

Jun 14, 2003
    Get some one who knows what they are doing to bypass the pre amp. Its usually fairly easy to temorarily connect the pickups straight to a jack or through a couple of passive vol controls. You would be shocked at how much your onboard pre amp is choking the sound - especially the mids. (this may be hard to believe, especially considering you actually have a mid boost control!) Play it like this for a few weeks and take it from there...

5. emre03

emre03

Sep 18, 2000
    Turkey,Istanbul
    So what you're saying is an eq bypass would give me a hi-mid cut and a mid-mid boost at the same time, and by doing this i'd have an active p/us without an eq....Worth a try...