Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

modifying a 5 string bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Rowan_Jazz_Head, Nov 11, 2003.

1. I have a 5 string bass that I want to change the tuning to E A D G C. Do I need to get a new nut, I tried tuning the bass like above but the strings were way way too stiff and even thought I was gonna snap the G when tuning it to a C. If I do need to get a nut, would it have to be custom or are there nuts made for this tuning? prices anyone? also how do you actually install a nut and remove a previous one. thanks.
    rowan

2. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Why dont you buy a set of Six string, Strings (...) and not use the Low "B"?

I think that would be the best solution.

3. if I did that would the E string sit comfortabley in the B part of the nut? I don't want any rattling or anything.

4. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I dont think it would be a problem, I have never dont it before thought...

How about, Next time you buy new string's, get a Six string set and see if it work's, if not, just through away the "C" string...

Ohh, you also have to tell me it it works, because I have a 5 String, but would Prefer it set E-A-D-G-C also. (I love the higher register, but cant afford a GREAT six string)

5. I don't think you'd have too much of a problem. The tension on the strings would keep them in place for the most part. Honestly though, if you buy a set of strings and it doesn't work out you can always go back to B E A D G strings and tuning and you really haven't lost very much money.

Disclaimer: I have not performed said action, this post is not a guarantee of reliability.:rolleyes:

6. Well, the real truth of it is that unless the new string gauges match the old ones, the nut won't fit well at all. If the new strings are too large, they will sit too far up in the slot affecting action in the lower positions. They may even wedge themselves into the poor fitting slot making it difficult to tune and possibly breaking the string. If the new strings are too small, they will likely cause a rattle at the headstock because of the poor fit.

Either match the string gauges (unlikely) or put in a new nut. This isn't very expensive and will really be the best solution.

7. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Hey, for all those that like the higher register of a 6 string bass but cannot afford a 6 string, do what I did. I just bought a 6 string set and threw away the B string and replaced the old strings with the new strings. Its been like this since June of 2003 and they are still on and I haven't had a problem with it. Actually I like it much better, but for those that fear that they need to get a new nut, you might need to. I have a Spector and if you own one, you know that their is a brass nut so replacing it can be iffy, but I just winged it and let it stay. No rattling, no broken strings, no stiff strings, no problems whatsoever. All you have to do it adjust your intonation, bridge height, and truss rod. And well I adjusted my pick ups for my taste. But yeah I just went out on a limb and it worked great for me. But I hated the B string, and I'm in love with the C. It makes a difference in my playing and I think if anyone does this they will notice a difference. The only thing is that you have to get used to a C string instead of a G and a low E instead of B. But practicing helps alot. Any questions respond back.

8. Ditto. Just did this yesterday. I haven't even adjusted anything yet...It plays fine (no rattle...ect.). The neck curve is still perfect. I may adjust my bridge soon however. It will take alot to get me to go back to the B string.

9. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    Additional idea: I haven't tried this, yet, but since tapewound strings tend to be a little fatter than "naked" strings, I'm going to put on tapewound strings instead. I'm thinking it will help with filling in any extra space in the nut slots. Also, it's possible with some brands to buy a single C string to add to a regular 4 string set.