Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modifying a 9 volt to a 18 volt???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Thumpin4, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Thumpin4

Thumpin4

Nov 6, 2002
    I have heard that all you have to do is (please correct me if I'm wrong) cut the black wire into coming from the original battery clip and just wire in another battery clip. Is there a certain way that you have to wire in the second battery clip?

2. tinfoil

tinfoil

Oct 20, 2002
    Canada
    There would HAVE to be more to it than that, afterall you're feeding alot of extra voltage to some rather sensitive bits.

3. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    That is all there is to it actually.

Special way? Yes, in series. If you want 18 volts you need to run (2) 9-volt batteries in series. You do this by connecting the black (-) lead from one connector to the red (+) lead of the next connector.
    That's it.

As for 'sensitive bits', no worries. Most all active electronics can handle 36 volts without any harm.Truth is there is no reason for it. 18 volts won't change your tone in any noticable way but it will give you some added headroom.

Hope that helps.

4. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell
    Very interesting! I'll have to see if my battery compartment can accommodate two 9V batteries.

Btw, is battery life extended...doubled...or decreased?

5. tinfoil

tinfoil

Oct 20, 2002
    Canada
    It's the most bit that worries me. But, I wouldn't have thought the preamps could take 18v. I sit corrected :>

6. Thumpin4

Thumpin4

Nov 6, 2002
    Thanks for all the help........:)

7. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    I doubt you will notice any difference in battery life (You MIGHT notice a little longer life). Nothing is changing except you are adding more power to your board. Most 9-volts last about 1000 hours in an active system if you play for 4-5 hours tops at a time with at least a couple of hours rest in-between. Same applies to 18 volts.
    Ironically in many cases you can kill a battery completely by leaving it on overnight.

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Actually your batteries will last a bit less time. Part of the inefficiencies of the circuit. It won't be that noticable. It will likely be offset by the variance in age and quality of batteries. Plan on changing both about as often as you now change one.

Also, it is very easy to go to Radio shack and pick up 3 of those 9v battery connectors and make a little rig that will let you run 18V without cutting your original wiring.

Basically, you wire two of them in series and connect them to the batteries. Then wire the two open ends of the series to the third. You reverse the terminals so that the third is simply flipped over and matched to the battery connector in the bass.

Very easy.

Chas

9. Thumpin4

Thumpin4

Nov 6, 2002

Thanks, I like that idea. I really want to avoid cutting into the original battery clip....:cool: