1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Modifying a Fender Telecaster bass humbucker

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Delberthot, Aug 19, 2007.

1. As you may or may not know, I am restoring a 1973 tele bass that came to me in a badly refinished state.

I'm not touching the neck but am refinishing the body.

I would like to keep the original pickup. There are 8 poles on it - 4 visible from the top, 4 underneath. you only see the 2 nearest the neck for the E & A strings and the 2 further away from the neck for the D & G strings

I have been told that a way to tame it is to remove the 4 poles that are underneath.

I was wondering whether removing the 4 nearest the neck would still make the pickup work as effectively what I have left are 2 poles nearer the bridge ( 2 visible and 2 underneath)which should yield a less boomy tone

2. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I'm not familiar with that pickup, but it sounds like your idea is to remove all four poles nearest the neck. If it's like a regular HB, removing those will make it like a single coil - the coil towards the bridge with two seen and two unseen poles will work, but the other probably won't be heard. It might not sound as balanced across the strings. I don't know what effect the poleless coil will have on anything. I think it would be safe to try if all the poles are screws.

Edit: There's also another way. If you like it with one coil, you could use a push/pull pot to ground out one coil and turn it back on. That way you'd have both options without cutting up your bass. That assumes you can get to the wire which connects the two coils.