1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Modifying a Guitar amp? Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fat_Joe, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Fat_Joe

Fat_Joe

Apr 2, 2013
    Knoxville, TN
    I have a Fender 15g Type P-495 that came with the Squier Strat I inherited. Is it possible to modify the speaker so I can use it with my Bass? Or am I better off selling it and replacing it with a base amp/speaker combo?

2. Sell it and use the funds for a higher power rig.

3. kentiki

kentiki

May 14, 2008
    +1

4. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    if you're talking about a 15 watt solid state 1x6" combo amp, you won't even get enough for it to do much good with. if it's some other kind of amp, like a tube amp, or a big high powered combo, then yes sell it for funds.
    either way, if you're just starting out and need something to play through while you learn, just be careful with the eq and volume and you should be safe at low levels. you will need to get better and "bigger" stuff, but it will work ok as long as you don't push your limits.
    if you aren't starting out, but are looking for something to use for jams or gigs, then, no, don't use guitar stuff (maybe an amp or pedal if you have to- but not a guitar speaker) what power does the amp have? what do you want to use it for? what kind of budget?

5. Fat_Joe

Fat_Joe

Apr 2, 2013
    Knoxville, TN
    Just for home practice, usually after hours. I don't know much about it. It just came with the guitar I inherited, and traded out for my J-Bass. My funds are minimal. I was wondering if using headphones instead of the amp speaker would get around that better, as I have an adapter to plug standard (3.5mm) headphones in.

Edit: Just tried it out with and without the headphones at low volume. It works just fine. Thank you basscooker and everyone else for the advice.