Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modifying a Sadowsky...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Hey, I was wondering, what would you think about taking a Sadowsky Vintage 5 (or 4, doesn't matter), and replacing the bridge J pup with a Musicman pickup? The fat ones used on the Stingray's.

Also, what about replacing the J-pups with '62 fender j-pups?

Just wondering...I'm so completely bored.. :D

2. I'd say...go get a MIM jazz and do the mods too.

3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I just don't understand why you'd want to. Isn't a Sadowsky supposed to be pretty much the be-all, end-all of Jazz basses? And Fender in a Sadowsky?
    :confused:

4. Why the FUDGE would you do that?

5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    then go get yer big ol arse of the net and go study or do something productive so your parents will have a reason to buy it.

6. I wouldn't, personally. Unless I saw one like that already and it sounded amazing.

Can you not read? I said I was just asking..for the hell of it :D

And narud, let the sleeping dog lie.

7. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Anyone who would even consider cutting a sadowsky (or any other high ender), probably doesn't have enough appreciation of the work to justify owning one. This of course, is just IMO.

8. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    I have a much better Idea. How about I buy you a MM and you send me the Sadowsky. :bassist:

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    How about when/if you order it, see if Roger will make one with a J/MM config. I think he made one for Will Lee (not sure, though)

The MM pick up is not as wide as a J so if you just cut into a bass that is routed for a JJ config., it'll look like garbage.

10. 1. How different would the MM pickup sound compared to the Sadowsky soapbars used in the 24 fret 5 model?

2. Uh oh.
    I feel g.a.s. again and I just got a Sadowsky PJ4 this week! :rolleyes: This could my next bass and possibly a 5 string. Sheesh. I wonder if that would sound similar to one of the Lakland basses with the J/MM pup combination? Probably. < - When you talk to yourself in a thread I think it's an ominous sign.

3. Putting Fender pups in a Sadowsky bass is like putting a VW engine in a Porsche or an Alfa Romeo engine in a Ferrari.

11. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    I still like my idea best:D

12. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I wouldn't modify any high end bass, especially a Sadowsky. Keep it the way it is. It will kill any resale value. If you don't like it, I know 50 guys who will buy it. My best advice is to pick up a used Stingray, about $700. Best of luck

Rob

13. Yeah, I'm hoping to get a used 5 string 'Ray from my girlfriend for my birthday.:D

14. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Geesh............thanks DUDE!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:
    I almost had him sold ;)

15. You bastard :D

Who the hell is garret anyway

*points and laughs*

Thanks to those of you who actually ANSWERED my question, yeah I guess Fender pups in a Sad. would sound like poo :D

And for the record..no I wouldn't do that..geez..