Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modifying a Strat to a Tele-style configuration

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jenderfazz, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Here's a simple electronics question for you guys... is it possible to easily rewire my Strat to have a Tele-style configuration? That is to say, a 3 way switch, and the middle pickup basically obsolete?

2. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Yes, it's possible. Google "Guitar Wiring," and a bewildering array of options will make themselves known to you. You can even order a blank pickguard, remove the offending pickup, and cut the pickguard according to your own custom desires.

Why would you want to limit your options like that, though?

3. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    The early Strats were wired to a three way switch, one position per pickup. Do you not want the middle pickup engaged? Basically, neck, both, bridge? If so, just replace the switch with a 3 position blade type switch. Easy wiring job and easy fix.

4. Yeah, that's basically what I'm looking for. It does limit my Strat-like options, but it should allow me to have the neck and bridge pickups on at the same time, which isn't possible on a stock strat.