Modifying Fender Prodigy bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fredner, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Fredner

Fredner

Jul 12, 2020
    I have a 1991 Fender Prodigy bass guitar . Stock pickups were Fender Standard PJ . Stock electronics was Kubicki 2 band eq with two concentric pots . I plan to rip all that out , put in a Fender Yosemite PJ pickup set with 2 concentric 500K pots with 47 caps on both bottom pots and just make it passive . Could someone please tell me whether or not this will work , or maybe give me a better idea on how to go forward?

2. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    That should work fine and I bet will make for a great playing and sounding bass. Can probably sell the electronics to recoup some of the cost. A fine, but under valued Fender, make it what you want!

Fredner likes this.
  3. Fredner

Fredner

Jul 12, 2020
    Thank you I will .

4. chandman1004

chandman1004

Jun 28, 2008
    Did you do this?

5. Fredner

Fredner

Jul 12, 2020
    No not yet . I've been working on other projects.

6. Fredner

Fredner

Jul 12, 2020
    Not sure that plan would work . I think I'd have to wire up only one tone pot or wire it up like a 62 jazz bass . Im thinking now of just soldering both pickups to one 500K pot and turning them into one big humbucker.

7. Fredner

Fredner

Jul 12, 2020
    I usually crank everything up to the max anyway . Hard rock heavy metal.

8. chandman1004

chandman1004

Jun 28, 2008
    I am still searching for my long list prodigy. Loved that bass. The active electronics died on mine ,I ended up just using it as a pbass style and left the bridge pickup disconnected

9. Fredner

Fredner

Jul 12, 2020
    You could get a replacement preamp from Audere for about 100 bucks. I just thought about making mine passive cause I hate fooling with 9 volt batteries!!

10. Fredner

Fredner

Jul 12, 2020
    I just decided to go the Audere route . New preamp and new pickups and it will be like it was brand new if not better.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021