1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modifying Japanese Roadstar II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nikolozj, Dec 15, 2011.

1. nikolozj

nikolozj

Dec 15, 2011
    Hi everybody! My first post on this forum!

I have Japanese Roadstar II 82 or 83 made bass, which is actually pretty cool bass guitar, with humbucker pickup in the middle position, like P bass and with really good wooden body.

This is my first and only bass so far. I thought about modifying this bass and putting Music Man Stingray model ceramic magnet humbucker pickup in the bridge position.

This will of course change it's original design. So I was thinking, if it's okay to do this... or should I sell this bass and get Music Man? Or I trade it ? Maybe there're some people out there wanting this bass while I'm messing with it?

Is that possible? Can I sell it for Music Man price?

2. I like those alot and own a 86 or 85 roadstar.Its your bass hack away but they dont make the any more.

I have a musicman sub i would maybe trade if its super clean

3. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    This is one of the Roadstars with the quadracoil humbuckers in it? Mine sounds AMAZING. You don't like the way yours sounds? My opinion would be to sell it and get a MM, they are hard to find and awesome basses. But as A-Step-Towards said, it's yours and you can do whatever you want with it =P

4. nikolozj

nikolozj

Dec 15, 2011
    A-Step-Towards, It's not super clean! All of the "used to be sunburst" paint came off, but no serious damage.

Lazarus.Bird, you mean "split coil" humbucker? then yes. well, I guess it sounds like P-bass? Maybe even little bit warmer. Multimeter reads 9.65K for pickup.

I think I decided to modify it, thinking about putting one ceramic magnet humbucker in the bridge position and one jazz bass neck pickup in neck position and leave the split-coil humbucker wherever it is (middle position)...

I also thought about one jazz bass bridge pickup next to ceramic hum in the bridge position, but I don't think it's a good idea...

I just want to get some combined bass, that would sound, or will try to sound like jazz bass, stingray and P-bass.

Any suggestions/ideas?

here's a pic
    1scefq.

5. Lazarus.Bird

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    No, I mean quadracoil! I must have originally read your post wrong, because for some reason I thought you were talking about one of the Roadsters like mine:

IMG_3874.

6. nikolozj

nikolozj

Dec 15, 2011
    That looks really pretty and shiny....... especially if you compare it with mine! :D I wouldn't even think of modifying it if I had your model...!

Also, never heard of quadrocoils... word tells me that it has four coils instead of two?

7. Lazarus.Bird

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Yes Ibanez put them in a few of their basses during the early 80s. Two of the pots can be pushed to split the pairs as well. Sounds kind of like a thunderbird and stingray mixed together ;)

I take back everything I originally said. The model you have is not too difficult to find. If you want to alter its sound I say go for it. I owned one similar to that and it was a great player with a great neck. However that trim or whatever on the front of the body is not from factory on the one you have there. Never saw that before.

8. Yours looks like mine but i have a rosewood fretboard and a beat up factory white finish , pawn shop find for 80$.

I may put a J pickup in the bridge

9. nikolozj

nikolozj

Dec 15, 2011
    Lazarus.Bird, didn't get what "trim" are you talking about, the line that goes around the body?

the neck is actually pretty cool. and I think it's double truss rod neck. although frets are little bit worn out.

A-Step-Towards, as the previous owner told me, it used to be sunburst, but it came off and looked "ugly" for him, (wouldn't for me) and he scratched off all of the paint with sandpaper and natural looks pretty cool as well, but I want to paint it anyway.....