Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

modifying me bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BassMus1k, Mar 9, 2005.

1. BassMus1k

BassMus1k

Apr 1, 2004
    ok so i own an ibanez btb 406qm bass, it is a 6 string but it only has a 35 inch scale and i would like to extend that to either 37 or 38 inch scale
    what i am looking for is some advice would it be do able for me to dettach the neck seeing as it is a bolt on and build a new neck with the longer length or is this going to cause more problems than fix what i want. like am i going to have to move the pick ups or anything like that?
    thanx for the info and i look forward to any help you guys can give me.

2. ..why do you want a 37 or 38" scale? ive never heard of that

you wouldnt have to move the pickups, but i would suggest rethinking that

3. BassMus1k

BassMus1k

Apr 1, 2004
    if you want take a look at either knuckle head basses or dingwall basses
    the extra long scale creates an incredible low sound, crystal clear low B, also allows me to downtune extremely low and keep a higher tension inthe strings and i know otehrs may not like this but i would like it very much.

4. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Left is Right

Feb 26, 2005
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    This would not be the hardest job in the world for a custom shop with the right equipment. Since the fret placements are measured from the nut, the fingerboard would be the same as any other 37" or 38". The length of the neck from heel to nut is, say, 38" minus the distance from the neck pocket to the bridge. I'd talk to someone like USA Custom Guitars. They will probably want you to send them the body.

The pickups might not be in exactly the "best" spot, but I wouldn't be too worried. Unless you play in one position all the time, there is no way to really optimize the pickup position.

5. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Friendly warning...

When I went about getting my A0 (the reason the Quake exists at all) I started by making a longer neck and attaching it to an existing bass. It threw the instrument out of balance and dove horribly. If this is something you can tolerate then it is worth doing.