1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

modifying my 71 fender jazz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by loulou, Jan 19, 2012.

1. loulou

loulou

Jan 16, 2012
    london
    hey guys.

im gonna finally sort out my baby and give her the tlc she deserves and needs. At the moment she is all original, and i know a few of you are gonna hate this, but i have a set of 5 string bass strings on her and i tune her to B E A D, (obviously not using the G string).

im thinking of putting a bassass bridge on her and also a hipshot detuner.

if i have a hipshot detuner do i need to use any special gauage strings? will a hipshot tuner happily go down to C? i dont want a clean sound down there, at the moment it's quite noisey when i go low, but i like that.

badass bridges are good right? i know they have been around for years, but are they still good?

cheers,

also, listen to my band if you want.

La Shark - Magazine Cover - YouTube

2. mr.black

mr.black

Mar 4, 2008
    new666jersey
    ouch! i've always wanted a 71 jazz (cuz its my birth year). so with the hipshot you mean you wanna tune "up" to C on the top string? or are you going back to a standard 4 string set? a standard (105 - .45) set or a heavier set can easily go to C with the Hipshot too loose is a matter of opinion.

as far as the bad ass you wont get a .120 or .130 "B" string from a 5-string set through that bridge with out modifying it a bit. try a bridge with an open ended loading system like the ones from hipshot.

3. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    If you do any "upgrades" to a vintage instrument, always keep the original parts to put back on later. Try not to do stuff to a vintage instrument that will alter its vintageness, like unnecessary holes drilled into it ect..
    Badass bridges have been around for decades and are nice.

4. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    Oh god, is this a joke? :/

5. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    BA II:

If the bridge is socked down tight to the body it will eventually leave it's footprint in the finish. Not recommended.

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yep. stock with threaded-rod saddles is fine (better IMO, actually).

the detuner should be harmless though, as long as you get the exact right one.

7. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    I'm the Squier of Fenderbirds
    Wouldn't the hipshot go from B to A? Am I too drunk right now?

8. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    DUDE, LEAVE THE BASS ALONE. YOU WILL REGRET IT. The worth of that bass will go down. Yea you can put the parts back later but it will leave markings. You also may misplace the parts. First have it valued than ask yourself if you want to do this.

9. loulou

loulou

Jan 16, 2012
    london
    I'm not so worried about devaluing the bass, this bass is being buried with me.

I would be using standard tuning with the hipshot on the E.

I appreciate the advice guys. I'm gonna take her into the shop today, once I get her back I will upload some photos

10. Farfetched

Farfetched

Jan 7, 2009
    Crime scene photos? j/k probably a little harsh. but seriously don't.

11. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    Go buy a new bass to mod and leave the 71 alone. Badass 2 bridges arent nearly as good as people say they are. I only own one because the stock bridge on my mim j broke. I dont notice a difference other than it adding weight.

12. loulou

loulou

Jan 16, 2012
    london
    Haha.
    I might rip out the beautiful mother of pearl fret inlay and change them to chicken nuggets just to spite you guys.

Might also take out the pickups and replace it with a hot dog and a midi pickup.

13. mr.black

mr.black

Mar 4, 2008
    new666jersey
    ya'll he said he ALREADY tunes it BEAD with a 5-sting set... thus it has been modified already at the nut at least i assume, so... his actual plan to go back to a more standard string set is de-modding, the bridge and hipshot tuner can be reversed. BUT LOU do yourself a favor and skip the badass and use a hipshot bride also IMO.

14. put a trem on it

15. It's post CBS. Have @ it.

16. Masashi is God

Masashi is God

Nov 13, 2011
    Remove the pick guard, scoop any goop out with icecream scoop and use the cavities as an ashtray, it'll give those low down notes a slightly smoke feel...

I did this a 1967 monkeys head

17. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Hope you've got some photo's to post. I swapped the bridge on my 60's classic for a BAII. I honestly don't think the difference was significant. I am actually much happier with my stock Roadworn Jazz.

However, you will probably hardly recognize the sound of the instrument with the tuning and setup redone.

Me—I'd put it back to standard tuning for a week or two before swapping the bridge—one might better judge the difference the BAII makes that way. :ninja: