Modifying my Rogue's electronics to get new tones?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gregstj114, May 8, 2012.

1. Is it possible to modify the electronics in my Rogue VB100 to get some new tones?

I love the tones you can get from the Gibson EB-2s Bass/Baritone switch. Could the Rhythm/Solo switch on my Rogue VB100 be rewired/modified to copy the tone from the Bass/Baritone switch? If possible, how can it be done and what would be needed?

And I saw this video on YouTube where someone had an Epiphone EB-0s tone control modified to get a fuzz tone. Could this be done to the Rogue, even though it doesn't have a tone control? If possible, how can it be done and what would be needed?

Could both of these modifications be done together or could only one be done? I'm not a crazy fan of the Beatles and just trying to experiment with the different possibilities.

Thanks!

Here is the video of the EB-0:

2. Bump? It would be cool if these mods could be possible and if people could mention if/how it could be done.

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Inactive Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
  4. Thanks for the help SGD Lutherie! I'm a total noob when it comes to reading diagrams for a wiring setup. Under the EB2 schematic, is the .04 a type of capacitor with the 250K tone control? I'm a little familiar with potentiometers, but the rest of the schematic seems confusing.

5. Versatek6

Versatek6 Fretless is like Trombone

Oct 7, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
  6. I'm such a noob when dealing with electronics, their parts, and wiring diagrams. :meh:

Could you guys tell me what parts I would need to buy if I wanted to do this? And what about the fuzz mod I mentioned in my first post? Do you guys know what I would need in order to do that as well?

7. Bump?

8. Bump? I just got my Rogue setup and restrung with some rounds, so the tone I can get is a lot better now.

I had another idea for getting an "EB-2 style" tone. Already got the rounds, but I was thinking of taking out the second volume for the bridge pickup and making it a master tone with a master volume. Then I can keep the on/off switches for the pickups and make the rhythm/solo switch the bass/baritone switch. Definitely not going with that fuzz tone mod...I can just use my Big Muff :bag:

Could this mod be done? Or would I just be wasting my time and money making my Rogue into something it's not? It sounds fun though lol

And I bet this sounds ridiculous to some of you, but is it possible to replace the stock neck pickup with an EB-0 mudbucker? Just curious if this is possible. I'm not going to buy another pickup since the ones in the Rogue are good.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    You know, that's not a half bad idea. But I'd get a "real" mudbucker like a Novak instead of those hunks of magnets and wire that Gibson tries to pass off as mudbuckers these days. It could be done, but it will likely require cutting a bigger hole in the top.

10. Doesn't DiMarzio make a mudbucker? I've seen some EB-2s and Rivolis with similar looking pickups. Glad you think it could be done! The stock pickup hole would definitely have to be routed more.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 26, 2021