1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Modifying Peavey 1820

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MorganH, Mar 29, 2006.

1. MorganH

MorganH

Jul 8, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    I have an old Peavey 1820 (1x18 2x10 4ohm) with all of the speakers blown. I want to replace the speaker but with 8 ohm speakers with a higher watt rating, I'm thinking Eminence. Can I just slap them in there or do I have to change any of the wiring. I think it has some sor of crossover. It also has a bi-amp feature but at the speakers it is just a normal hook-up +/- wires.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Morgan

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Eminence makes lots of speakers, you get what you pay for.

You can just slap them in there. You only have to change the wiring if you want them to work right.

Yes it does, and it is designed for 4 ohm loads- like the 2 8 ohm 10's and the single 4 ohm 18. It also has power limitations, so regardless of what speakers you use, if you exceed what the crossover can handle it catches fire.

It's a pretty specialized cabinet. I'd replace the parts with Peavey replacements. Since they are Black Widow's and Scorpions, you only have to replace the baskets (not the magnets) and they are cheaper that way.

3. MorganH

MorganH

Jul 8, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    I have had some problems with the speakers. The 18 blew and I replaced the basket and it blew again. Then the one of the 10s blew. That's why I was thinking of replacing them with higher powered speakers.

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    You must be clipping the power amp or something. In the deep dark past I used to hit an 1820 with double its RMS using a good power amp and never had problems.

...There are higher powered speakers you can put in that box that'll actually extend its frequency response as well - if you retune the cab specifically for them, but as one already mentioned about this cab in another recent thread, the passive crossover itself may not be prepared to handle that.

5. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    By the time you spend $$ on speakers, you'll have a heavy old cab that might sound good but still have low resale value and hard to portage. You may need a new crossover as well. I'd invest in a new cab.
    Tom B. I think, replaced the 18" in his with a Madison driver with pleasing results.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yes, indeed! I was tired of replacing baskets on the 18" Black Widow, so out of frustration, I bought a 1,000w RMS Madison Executioner 18" driver (in 4 ohm config) and the improvement in low end depth, clarity, power handling was astounding. This made a huge improvement IMHO, though to be honest, I was only looking for it to 'work' and I thought that it would not sound as good, being that the cab was not designed around this driver. But, it sounded so good that I tried replacing the two 10's with some nice Selenium drivers, but to be honest, the stock Peavey drivers sounded better.

That said, I did also replace the two 10's in my Peavey 210TX with Madison drivers, and it sounded a ton better, too. Maybe there is something special about Madison drivers in Peavey enclosures?

Tom.