modifying pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jtsam, Oct 2, 2005.

1. jtsam

Apr 11, 2005
    has anyone ever tried to hook up an expression pedal to one of the knobs on a food pedal? i was just wondering if this could work as it could be pretty cool to control effects and change then while you are playing this way.
  2. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    That's quite easy in fact. You just have to be sure that the exp pedal pot is the same kind of the pot you want to control with your foot.
  3. Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    There is a pedal that's called the "3rd Hand" I think, and all you do is take the knob off the parameter on the stomp box you want to control, and attach this cord to the pot, and it converts the movement of your foot on the expression pedal into a rotary motion that turns the pot so you can control the parameter while you play. Can be cool for random speed flanging, or changing delay time while the pedal is still in use.

Edit: Just found the Link, it explains it better than I did.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The 3rd Hand Idea is a really good idea, however it can be done much cheaper if you know a bit about electronics, and then it's easy as pie.
  5. jtsam

Apr 11, 2005
    yeah, i think i'm gonna take an old line 6 expression pedal that i have and see if i can wire it up to a pedal....see what happens...i'm wanting to use it to control a fulltone bass drive, but i'll probly get a dirt cheap pedal and see if i can make it work first
  6. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    i modded an ibanez analogue delay for a friend a few years ago.
    i removed the feedback-control pot and wired the contacts to
    the dry out jack.
    i then removed the standard pot from an Ernie Ball volume pedal
    and installed a matching pot with the ohm rating from the ibanez pedal
    i then wired that to the output jack on the ernie ball.
    then a short standard cable and presto, expression pedal.
    amazing feedback swells!
    i felt the response of the pedal was a little uneven,(alot more action
    closer to full volume) but my friend liked it that way and still has it
    in his set-up. i'm sure that problem could be remedied easily with a different ohm pot.