Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

modifying pickgaurds

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by BlackNeckJspl, Jan 26, 2003.

1. BlackNeckJspl

BlackNeckJspl

Dec 14, 2002
    Indiana
    Well I just had the local shop order a red Squire Bronco for my stepson. It reminds me of my old Mustang that I learned on. I heard the stock pickup is less than ideal. I am thinking of putting a 62-reissue fender p pickup on my bass and using the current pickup on his bronco. What is the best way to modify the pick guard so it doesn’t look like a chop job?

2. do you mean cutting the edges to change the shape? if you use a jigsaw, you're gonna want to put the saw's surface part on an angle, to get the bevel on the pickguard's edge.
    i'm not sure if this is helpful, or if i'm clear on what you're asking; but it's all i've got. when i modified a pickguard for my customized fretless guitar, it kinda came out crappy; i just cut the edges and filed it smooth.

3. I think he means, changing the pickup hole to fit the P pickup.

If i were you I'd just get 51 p pickup reissue (basslines and other places) and put it in there, if it's not an exact fit (I'm not sure if it is, but the shape is similar), all you have to do is use a file and do the minor changes to get it to fit.

4. BlackNeckJspl

BlackNeckJspl

Dec 14, 2002
    Indiana
    Looking at the attached picture of a Bronco Bass you can see the pickup looks like a guitar pickup. I want to put the split P pickup that I am going to replace on my bass on Kyle’s Bronco. I would like to neatly modify the Bronco’s pick guard to fit the new larger pickup.