1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Modifying squier

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr L, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Mr L

Mr L

Jul 22, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    I have a squier affinity bass I bought for $50 off Craigslist. I was thinking of replacing all the hardware, pickups and such but my question is, would it be worth it?
    The tuners are a little loose so those need replacing if I ever want to gig with it.

Was also thinking of giving it a paint job, since it is a backup bass I could give it some sexy paint to more or less hide the fact it's an affinity :p

If it is worth it, where would the best place to pickup some replacement/upgrade parts online be?

Thanks!

2. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Right here on TB is a good place to start. Go the the For Sale Accessories section. All sorts of goodies in there.

Congrats on the new bass!

Bob

3. IMO, you should use this bass to try out whatever parts you want. Try different Pickups, bridges tuners, but bear in mind that you may have to remove wood, drill holes... basically use this bass as a "blank" bass.
    You should be able to find everithing on
    bestbassgear . com
    theperfectbass . com
    ebay
    and so on...

4. Mr L

Mr L

Jul 22, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    For $50 I think I can sacrifice the bass to eternal experimentation

5. Worth it? It depends on what you mean by that. Do you mean it will help up the resale value? No, it won't do that, at least not enough to make any kind of profit. You will end up with a bass that you won't be able to get back the investment you made in parts if you sell it later.
    If you mean worth it as in you'll end up with a nice bass that sounds good and is fun to play? That is far more likely.
    In other words, if you're looking for better resale value, no, it's not worth it.
    If you're looking for a decent, playable and good sounding bass, then yes it's worth it.

6. ejaggers

ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Hurst, tx
  7. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

Sep 14, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    If it plays well and the neck is good, I would say do it. I pretty much did what you were thinking. I bought a squier affinity pbass with the standard black finish and 1ply white pg. Stripped it, routed it, repainted it white, new pg, preamp, and new pu's. One of the funnest projects I have done, and it is a fantastic bass.

Attached Files:

8. Mr L

Mr L

Jul 22, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    That's what I'm talkin about. Not interested in increasing the value of the bass. More interested in upgrading the living hell out of it and then thumping all over $700+ basses and laugh at their offers to trade me for it.

I'm most likely gonna go all out on this thing, anything any of you would like to see done to a bass but don't have a project bass for it? (roof testing is not an option sorry) Shoot away looking for suggestions.

9. I've had an Affinity project in my head for quite some time now. But mine involves pickup paint, pickguard, pickup/bridge cover and strings (obviously) and that's about it. My intention is building something for about what a new Affinity would cost, but a little better as far as electronics and looks. The pickup is the place to start and damn near just about finish, imo.

The Affinity is a great bass to do a mod project on, wish you luck, let your mind wander, you've got alot of choices.

10. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

Sep 14, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    I personally am a fan of switches. Also adding pu's would be cool. Like a pbass single coil in the neck, split coil in regular, and like mm or jazz pu at bridge. then parallel/series switches etc. Good way to do some woodwork and electrical stuff.