1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

modifying yamaha bbn5

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by phunky345, Sep 15, 2001.

1. phunky345

phunky345

Jun 20, 2000
    Missoula, MT
    I was thinking of buying a yamaha bbn5 (the one with passive jazz pickups and 3 knobs), since they sell for so cheap used. But I was just wondering if their innards have enough room for an active tone circuit like a seymour duncan or aguilar or something??? Also, is this bass nice enough to be worthy of a good preamp? If not, I might just go for a modified mexi-fender like I've heard of on TB.
    Thanks,
    kyle

2. I modifyed my Yamaha TRB5 by ripping out the pre-amp and replacing it with a Sadowsky pre-amp and I have never looked back.
    If you like the neck on your bass, I don't care how expensive/inexpensive it is, just put a better pre-amp in it and you will be happy.

3. I've got a BBN5II with the humbuckers, not the jazz pups. I put in a Seymour Duncan 2 band preamp, and it works a treat. It was a very tight fit, and involved removing a small amount of wood inside the cavity, which I then lined with copper foil. In order to get the preamp and the battery into the cavity, I had to ditch the supplied volume pot with the pull facility for the slap circuit, and replace with a conventional pot. I would'nt use the slap circuit anyway. I also removed the quick release harness connectors and soldered the wires directly on to the pins. This gave me a bit more space. Whilst on the job, I installed a set of threaded brass screw inserts for the cavity screws, and a Switchcraft output socket. My knobs now are volume, blend, and stacked treble and bass. All up, a very worthwhile exercise, the sound and punch is great. I've had all sorts of basses, such as a Stingray 5, but the Yammie blows them all into the weeds now, and it has the 20mm string spacing, which is really hard to find in a 5 string bass. I love it.