1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Moding my old Ibanez.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by WookieeForLife, Sep 28, 2009.

1. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    Took off bridge, strings and back plate. As i am removing the pickups, there is a wire going to where the bridge was, is that to ground it?

2. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Yes.

3. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    Yes sir. indeed it is. While youre in there some say that beefing up that ground wire is well worth it.

4. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    Another quick question, I cut the pick up wires, then if I end up using them again i peel back the plastic and solder it back on? The only part that confuses me are these pickups.

5. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    the best way to do that is to un solder the pups from the pots, but yes, if you cut them short at one end you can reuse them

6. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    Ok the whole thing is all gone. I have a bday party to go to so no pics todaybut i have a neck and 8 ziplocks with diffrent parts all saved. Time to make a design, strip off the paint with a heat gun and repaint this bad boy. Will keep you posted.

7. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    102_1249.

102_1250.

102_1257.

102_1259.

102_1261.

102_1262.

102_1264.

There are the pics. My nice scratched up bass. I need a new string peg. Other that that, it is a matter of sanding it and Painting. I'll keep this updated.

8. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    Not best quality, but I am photoshopping them right now

9. WRXbase

WRXbase

Jan 14, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    If you're modding/upgrading your bass, might want to think about better tuners. Bridge and p-ups are obvious. And strings. And doing a proper shielding job.

Yeah. So, replace everything but the wood. LOL!

10. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    Yep. Pix of the sanding by hand process in 10 minutes

11. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    My laptop is messed up so I can't upload them right now.

12. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    After 10 mins
    102_1287.

102_1288.

After 1 hour, at 10 I stopped for the night. 5 45 comes early...

102_1296.

102_1305.

102_1303.

102_1293.

See all the pictures I took here http://s672.photobucket.com/albums/vv90/wookieeforlife/

I think the horn of it looks cool. I have work tomarrow, so I will finish sanding it friday. Suggestions would help, but I don't want to buy a heat gun. Afraid of effects on wood, and sanding is working for me. The suggestions I need is bridges and pickup.

13. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    I did this once, to my old Yamaha RBX200F. By hand. It took forever, but worked out great. It was canary yellow, with a gloss black neck - yuck! The neck turned out really nice, but underneath the yellow paint on the body was a really ugly mass of glued-together crapwood.

Pickups - depends on what you're after. Vintage, or modern/aggressive? Duncan makes nice pickups for not too much coin. For the bridge, just about anything with a decent amount of mass to it (no Fender-style "bent steel" bridges). Also look for one that has channels or buttresses to keep the saddles from moving sideways under the force of plucking/picking. Something like this would work fine.

14. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    Cool. I am looking for a versital pickup. Something that will sound good with metal and classic rock. I'd rather a classic rock sounding pickup more though.

15. humclihal

humclihal

Oct 8, 2009
  16. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    Work today till 10. It's 6 am now.16 hour day with 6 hours of sleep is going to be fun.

17. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    Also the number one thing that surprised me, is that this isn't all scraps glued together.

18. Seymour Duncan Bassline SPB-2 Pickups. I've got them in my p bass and they're not as aggressive as 1/4 pounders but hotter than the spb-1 vintage pickups. It's a good medium.

19. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    Cool

20. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    5string5 fingers, How much did you pay?