1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

modkitsdiy.com MOD1 guitar amp kit

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NKBassman, Sep 30, 2010.

1. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Anyone ever try building or playing one of these before? I think it would be a really fun project, but can't find a lot of reviews on it.

EDIT: Link.

2. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Maybe this should have gone into the Amps forum? Mods, you decide.

3. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Looks like the mods moved this, so... Bump.

4. Looks like a thrown together kit based on Hammond chassis parts. Construction of the unit in the photo is poor IMO.

5. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Anybody know of any other decent, affordable, relatively simple tube amp builds that would be suitable for guitar and/or bass?

6. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    $500?

No thank you.... looks like a great kit, but you can use Weber Boxes and Transformers, Digikey caps and Resistors, and your choice of tubes, and have a 100w Amp for the same price. With a bigger EQ range, too.

Promising... but i'd have to pass.

NKBassman, roll on over to Weber Speakers... and look at their stuff. But i'd personally avoid Buying Capacitors from Weber, there has been a lot of hubbub on the internet about the caps from webers supplier not really being the value they are listed as, and having reliability issues. I'd just go Mouser or Digikey for that stuff. I personally like Mouser better for two dozen components, but if i was a huge company who needed 35,000 resistors and capacitors, i'd be all Digikey.