1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mods that make no discernable difference in your sound.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Harper, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Harper

Harper

Nov 10, 2001
    Nothing against these products or the people who use them, but I defy anyone to take a double blind test and be able to hear the difference between a bass with stock parts and a bass with a Badass Bridge, a brass nut, or a Fatfinger installed. Also, not really a "part," but it's been scientifically proven that there is no difference in sound between high end cables and the regular ol' ones you get at Radio Shack.

I'm sure that there are more, but these are the ones that jump out at me.

2. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Attached Files:

3. Harper

Harper

Nov 10, 2001
    Don't get me wrong, I have a Badass on one of my basses and it's a great bridge. Still, I have to chuckle when people talk like it makes a HUGE difference in sound, sustain, whatever. Another big one is stringing through the body or through the bridge. I guarantee that *no one* can tell a difference in sound.

4. ericlikeseatin

ericlikeseatin

Jul 22, 2012
    Tort pickguards? :bag:

But to be more serious, a high mass bridge may feel different to play - which to some people is just as important as sound. As for the other mods you mentioned, I don't have any experience with them so I can't say.

5. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    I have yet to buy regular ol' anything at Radio Shack. Tell me more about these cables. :)

6. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Well I can tell you from much experience the absolute best part about mods is they take a lot of time and money and usually make the instrument worth much less for re-sale. But I can’t stop anyway….:meh:

7. BigRedBassPlayer

BigRedBassPlayer Supporting Member

Score!!

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Hear a difference between a B/A and a stamped steel Fender bridge? Probably not.

Feel the difference? Absolutely!

9. Harper

Harper

Nov 10, 2001
    But Tort pickguards have "MOJO!!!!"

Dear lord, do I hate the term "mojo."

10. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Stickers.

11. Harper

Harper

Nov 10, 2001
    So you think that you could sit down blindfolded, play a bass with a B/A and play one without, then tell which was which? Without reaching down and touching the bridge?

12. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    YOU TAKE THAT BACK. :crying:

13. BigRedBassPlayer

BigRedBassPlayer Supporting Member

Maybe so, but it's helps sell a bass. :bag:

14. 64jazzbass

64jazzbass

Sep 5, 2002
    Chicago, Il
    I can tell the difference between a badass and a stock bridge on my '73 Jazz but only because I know that bass inside and out, every nook and cranny, etc. Could I tell the difference blindfolded listening to someone else's bass? Probably not. I can guarantee that no one in the audience can tell the difference either...

15. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I had a bass with a bad dead spot in the usual location for a Fender (frets 5-7 on the G string). A Fatfinger FIXED it. Anyone can tell, blind test or not, if a dead spot is there or not. It WORKS. No doubt about it. And if ears don't work the volume difference is actually electronically measurable. I'd advise you to try it before saying it has no effect.

16. ngnt

ngnt

Apr 22, 2012
    D.C.
    I had a guitar player that spent tons on this stuff, especially the expensive cables. He had a VERY nice PRS and VERY nice amp... In anyone else's hands... Whenever he played anything it always sounded thin and cheap. When I picked up his guitar it sounded like a totally different instrument. I don't really consider myself a guitar player, I just know enough and have enough technique to be dangerous (especially in the studio where I got asked to rerecord all the GUITAR parts!!) but with some people if they don't have their 'feel' down no matter what they play will sound the same regardless of mods.

17. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    I don't like it either. The good thing about it, is that I know I can skip any bass in the classifieds or eBay that have "mojo" in the description. Don't even have to waste time clicking on it. I don't care much for instruments that are all scratched up & dinged :rollno:

18. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Like changing knobs, switching out to gold or black hardware, or a new pickguard? Of course, those mods won't change the sound.

But it seems like you're trying to make some kind of "statement" here.

Tread lightly, you're on thin ice.

19. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    Thin ice????

20. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    Monkey grip