Mods to an L2500

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Marty Forrer, Aug 21, 2001.

1. Call me crazy, call me what you will. I'm not very happy with the sound of my L2500, but love the bass in all other aspects. After some amount of thought, I'm toying with the idea of replacing the preamp (not the pickups) with maybe a Bartolini, which I just happen to have on-hand. My reasoning is two fold, first I kinda like having a blend control as opposed to the existing selector, as it gives more control, and secondly, it would be nice to have a bass boost on board, rather than just the existing bass cut. Also I find the L2500 treble is a bit harsh for my taste. Has anyone done anything like this to one of these basses? Also I've lost the URL for the Dude's G&L forum. Anyone help?
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

There's the link. I agree that the treble is a little harsh. I keep it backed off a bit on the guitar and the amp. Other than that, I love the tone circuit. I don't think I could change mine. But as soon as I get a little cash squirrelled away for another bass, I am going to pick up another L2500 and rig it with a bart tone circuit. Just for kicks. That is my next project for sure. Like you, I love the feel of the bass.

G&L made a bass for a while called the 5500. Same bass but with EMG pickups and tone circuit. I think there is a least one owner of one of those at the dudepit G&L site. Maybe he might add something of interest to the conversation.