Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mods To my Fender 1975 Jazz MIA RI

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by liran, Oct 14, 2002.

1. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Hi,
    I've been wanting to beef up the sound on my 1975 Mia Jazz bass and I was wondering what are some mods that I could do to it to really boost the sound. I've heard of the J-retro pre amp, would this preamp require no mods to the bass? But any other suggestions on what I could do are greatly appreciated thank you.

2. A J-Retro would require no mods to your bass. You can also look into some different pups. Fender makes the Custom Shop 60's pups that I have in my MIM. The sound more 70's to me then 60's. You might like them.

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey James, Im confused. Why did you buy the R.I. if you want to mod it? Modding it will devalue the bass and change the sound, sometimes it's not for the better. I just bought a car 75R.I. w/matching headstock and I would not change a thing.

4. I think I would leave her stock bro. :) Pick up a nice MIM or MIJ jazz and go hot mod heaven with her instead!! :D

Just my $.02 worth though.

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I wouldn't do it. Those mods are going to cost you twice. Once when you do it and again (even more $) if you ever go to sell it. I would do as Usul suggests and get a MIM if I wanted to mod anything.

6. FiedelP

FiedelP

May 24, 2002
    Hamburg, Germany
    Have you tried an outboard preamp like the J-Retro or the Sadowsky. The basic hardware, the electronics and the PUs are topnotch. I wouldn't change them, if you're not 100% sure of what you want and the change that will realise it.
    Dirk

7. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    hmmmmm.... I think I would leave it alone, instead I would mod a MIM 60's jazz bass..... really cool looks, and it's cheap, and it's an MIM! No love lost for a mod there!

P@

8. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Just out of curiousity, how many Fender 1975 MIA Reissues did they make? I heard they only made like 200. if so I have quite a collectors in my hands:D

9. FiedelP

FiedelP

May 24, 2002
    Hamburg, Germany
    Afaik it's a production instrument and still made just like the 62 J and the 62 and 57 P. They've made a special run of it in custom colours with matching headstocks. These were about 200 I guess. What is it that you don't like about the sound?
    Dirk

10. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I don't know about the 75R.I. that you have but I have a 75R.I. in car w/matching headstock. Now this bass was slated for sales in europe and has no country of origin on it. I spoke with fender in califonia and they assured me this was made in the usa, they also told me 200 of these were made. 40 went over seas and the rest stayed here. My bass was shipped to New York on the 15 of august and is a special edition.