Mods/Upgrades you've made to your Warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by socialleper, May 14, 2012.

1. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I'd like to hear from Warwick owners about some changes they've made to their basses.

1.) What model do you have?
    2.) What did you change/modify/upgrade and why?
    3.) Did the change achieve what you wanted?

or

Is the bass exactly how you wanted it and wouldn't change a thing?

****Update****

Statistical Data:

Thumb- 3
    Streamer- 1
    Corvette- 2
    Jazzman- 1
    Fortress- 1
    Infinity- 0

Preamp- 3
    Pickups- 1
    Tuners- 1
    Input Jack- 1
    Strap Lock- 3

2. I have a 1990 Warwick thumb 5 string neck through and changed out the output jack in the bass to a switchcraft jack because the old one was no longer making good contact.

3. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    I have a Streamer LX Broadneck 6 string that I just replaced the preamp with a Seymour-Duncan STC-3a preamp (basically went from 2-band to 3-band). I just got the endorsement from SD and wanted to try out a new pre to give me some extra options (that being the inclusion of the mid control).

Very happy with the results. Tonally, it is a little more mellow with the SD preamp, but we're really talking slight. The mid control lets me fine-tune the sound of the bass more than the basic treble/bass controls did.

I may get another one of these and drop it into my Corvette $$ 6 string fretless, in the hopes of taming it a little more.

4. coyote1

coyote1

Mar 23, 2012
    Wouldn't call it a mod per se - I put flats on my Corvette Standard fretless. Sounds great.

Only thing I want to change is to get rid of the hum. Otherwise, the instrument is perfect as-is.

5. peterkidd

peterkidd

Oct 20, 2008
    Shirley, MA
    I eliminated neck-dive..

wtbo9.jpg

6. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    WOAH! Did you just drill a long anchor bolt into your bass!

7. peterkidd

peterkidd

Oct 20, 2008
    Shirley, MA
    It's something called a LedgerLoc, something used in carpentry to hold decks to houses.

They are profoundly strong and can easily support the bass w/out bending.

Drawback, you end up with a 1/4" hole where the strap button went, so if you want to go back to stock you have to glue a dowel in a re-drill for the strap-button screw. But that is not hard.

But luckily, the guy I sold it to loved it, so there was 10 minutes saved.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I have a Streamer Jazzman, I replaced the pickups with Delano and the preamp with an Audere Z3B. The transparency of Audere preamps makes perfect for Warwick basses, it's quite an improvement over the stock MEC preamp. Deeper, punchier, livelier.

The Delano pickups are smoother and clearer than the MEC's, but if I had to choose one or the other I would just do the preamp swap with and Audere.

9. octaverazor

octaverazor

Jun 3, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I had to change the tuners out on my Corvette $$. I went with Grover. Same look, seems like better quality.

10. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    What model bass was this?

11. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    Looks to me like a Corvette. Mine just barely has the right balance because the body is Alder (RB model). If the neck was made from one of the more exotic woods, it would certainly dive even with a heavier body, since the Corvette body is so compact to begin with.

I saw a youtube clip of Andy Irvine doing a demo for the Fortress model and he said that it was only because of the longer top horn that the bass was able to find the perfect balance. I'm not tall and need to pull the neck towards me a little in order to get my arm out on my fret hand and notice how much strain I put on the strap when doing so.

As for mods - I haven't made any yet - but I wonder if anyone out there would consider a swap of their black hardware (2pc bridge, knobs and tuners) for mine in chrome?

12. peterkidd

peterkidd

Oct 20, 2008
    Shirley, MA
    Thumb, 5, B.O.

13. I have a 1999 Thumb NT 5. Just swapped out the stock tuners for Hipshot Ultralites to help alleviate the neck dive. Between that and a 4" wide leather strap, the neck dive is gone. The Hipshots look better than the stock tuners, too.

14. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    A couple more I've done:

1996 Corvette Standard: When I got this bass, the former owner had already put a set of EMGs in it. Those died about ten years later at which point I put in some Seymour-Duncan active AJB-5 pickups in it. Just recently dropped the STC-2a preamp in it, and now this bass is a beast.

I also pulled out the inset Dunlop strap buttons and installed Schaller straplocks. Had to use a dowel to fill in the hole, but no big deal. You can't see it with the strap button on.

1995 Fortress One: I did the same thing with this one in regard to putting Schaller straplocks on the bass. The inset Dunlops never worked for me, and failed on a number of occasions.

The former owner also put a Seymour-Duncan STC-3a preamp in the bass. It sounded awesome with the MEC pickups. This bass' tone was what prompted me to drop the SD pre in my Streamer, to get that synergy of sound from MEC and SD.

15. CORBS

CORBS

Dec 28, 2010
    I was thinking of changing the pre on my $$ 5er to a 3-band. It has the 2-band stock, and with all the coil switching options I think a midrange control would allow me to tame the more high output coil settings.

When you say it's more mellow, do you mean less boost and cut then the stock MEC pre?

16. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    That's my thought as well. I love my $$ fretless, but some of the high output settings are really quite shrill. Next string change I have a set of GHS Pressurewounds I'm going to put on it too, which should help.

No, I mean that tonally, if you're running both EQs completely flat, the SD has a little more mellow, rounder sound to it. But we're talking a very minor difference. I'd compare it to the difference between brand new strings and after they've settled in for a week. That clean and crisp top end is gone, but they still have plenty of clarity and definition.

I find the boost and cut to be comparable between the two.

17. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Would you say the placement of the frequencies the boost/cut affects in the SD and Warwick Preamp are more or less the same?

18. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I would. I didn't notice any huge difference between pres when I was checking the range of the treble and bass.

19. I have a few Warwicks, - Corvette $$ 4 & 5 string plus a Streamer lx4. Ive had to change individual tuners on the corvette $$ 4 string due to the shaft snapping which must be indicative of sub-standard materials or the production. Ive a mid 70's precision bass with those big ass cauliflower tuners which ive never had to think about them in all the time ive had it, staggers the length of time it stays in tune cased up. I'm also trying to find out if the new warwick string anchors have been altered so you can use a low B without a tapered core. Its really annoying being forced to buy a product out of my price range and not what i'd buy regardless of cash. Im thinking of taking a file to the string anchor, has anyone tried this??
    Thx Mark

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021