1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

mods you've done to your Geddy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Guiseppe, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    The last couple times I've played my GL I've been getting some line noise, and when I plugged in another bass was sad to realize the low input of my GL (not to mention the noise was gone).

Tomorrow, I'm restringing it, but I'm hesitant that it isn't going to solve the issue. Has anyone else noticed this? I recently raised my action to eliminate 'slapback' of the string on the pickups.

What mods have you done to alleviate the apparant log gain?

Thanks!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Restringing it won't help. Sounds like a grounding issue. Pull off the control plate and check to see if the wire going under the bridge is hooked up to the jack like it's supposed to be. Also, bear in mind that Jazz Basses have single coil pickups that can be noisy in certain environments, but the noise should go away when you turn the volumes up equally.

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    It's a MIJ/CIJ bass what could possibly be wrong with it? They are miles better than the MIA basses and alway's deliver. Fender Japan is making some of the best basses out there (insert muttley laugh here). It is what it is dude! Btw I removed the badassII from mine :D

4. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    Aged Pearl Pickguard
    Audere 3-Band JZ3 Preamp
    DiMarzio Model J pickups

View attachment 60127

= Fender Jazz bliss!!! :D :D

Randy

5. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Model DP123 set. Single best mod for this bass, inexpensive, humbucking, and drop in with no body/pot mods.

6. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Brand new, mine had a crap solder on one of the volume pots. One pickup did not work. Easy fix, but it was disappointing.
    Output is on the lower side, but most love the tone.
    I replaced my pickups with SD Quarter Pounders and use DR Black Beauties. Couldn't be happier.
    Oh yeah, I also added a Hipshot Xtender tuning machine.

7. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Removed the pickguard to adjust the neck, liked the look better so I left it off... Replaced the BadAssII with a standard replacement from StewMac...

The pickups - Tone for days, but a bit ont he low output side... I figure that's what the volume control on my amp is for :D

-robert

8. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    To each their own, but I would NEVER have done this. I love what the BAII bridge does for this bass.

9. karter2000

karter2000

Aug 21, 2005
    Nowhere land
    Mods I've done:

Dimarzio Model J's (DP123's)
    Series/parallel switch to put both pickups in humbucking mode. Believe me, the Model J's in series mode is far from low output!
    Schaller Strap Locks
    A small access routed for the truss rod

Other than that, I totally love the Geddy!

Lyle

10. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Post a piccie of it w/o pickguard. Wanna get rid of the BadAss II?

11. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I've removed the badassII from mine also! Installed a stock Fender bridge too!

12. Antman3820

Antman3820 Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2005
    Toms River, NJ
    - Tortoise PG
    - Black Schaller Strap locks
    - Nordstrand Single Coil PU's
    - Audere Pre

Here is a Picture of Ed Goode (Pointbass) playing my GL at the recent, South Jersey GTG....

Attached Files:

13. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Wow! Ok, I have to ask, why? What was it about the BAII that you didn't like?

14. schaller strap locks
    audere jz3 preamp
    dimarzio J pickups
    strung with DR black beauties

15. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Cool! It looks like the same black/red tort I have on mine, which originally I wasn't too sure about, but now I'm really diggin' it. :)

As long as we're talkin' minor stuff, I also converted mine to a blend control, as I hate VVT configs, put different knobs on it, and of course I added the pickguard.

geddy_tort.jpg

Also, I haven't done it yet, but I'm very seriously considering putting one of the below spoke wheels on it so I never have to remove the neck again... hasn't been a big problem, but I love being able to adjust the TR really easily on a bass. Yeah, it would mean a minor route in the neck pocket, but shouldn't be any big deal.

[​IMG]

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Can't speak for the person you asked, but for me, I don't like it because all it does is add weight without improving the sound.

17. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I find it sucks some of the warmth out of the bass. When I installed the Fender stock bridge it recovered the warmth. BadassII are good if you want to be mid heavy but not if you want a regular jazz. Jmho.

18. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Interesting... they definitely change the sound to my ears, and also importantly, seem to help minimize whatever classic dead spot the bass might have.

19. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    This makes sense. Yeah, I'm on the other side of the fence, so that's why I like it so much. Those mids you're talking about are where the classic 70's "growl" and bite lives, and I just LOVE that stuff. However, I can understand someone wanting a more classic sound.

My first inkling would be to ask why not just get one of the other models that has that through pickup placement and also using the standard bridge, but I'm betting you like that thin neck profile, so that's the only way to get that and the classic J tone you dig.

20. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Mid 70's jazzes didn't need badassII to be growly! they were growly without it. There were certain bassist that had a heavier than normal midrange to their sound and the badassII will get that. On a whole most bassist with 70's jazzes don't have badassII's on there basses, at least not the ones i've seen for sale! My Geddy has chrome flats on it and it's a thump and poppers dream!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021