1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Modular synthesis from the perspective of a bassist

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Snaxster, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Morphagene is here and... there's a bit of a learning curve. ;) My first try at using it with bass guitar as a sound source was with an old looper piece of mine. The result was okay, but not good enough to share. Today I used other parts of the synth as a source, and that went better.

Here are three new pieces. The first, Dry, is my final pre-Morphagene synth music. As before, these exemplify my "Synth view? Modular. World view? Bass." thing:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    knumbskull likes this.
  2. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    A new track with the new-to-me Grids drum pattern module and Ventris Dual Reverb pedal. I was happy to confirm that Grids likes to have its patterns deconstructed by modulators.

Comparing this, my first try of the Ventris to my recent frequent use of the Empress Reverb, generalizing I noted that, though there is overlap, characteristically the Empress Reverb sounds like a warm, sonorous glow to the Ventris sounding like a bright, icy mist.

Probably the Empress Reverb will end up on my bass pedalboard, for which I got it originally, while the Ventris will accompany the synth by default.

knumbskull likes this.
  3. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    New today are three groove variations on a long phrase that feels elliptical. These tracks tracks feature the Bass VI Anthony Jackson sample library:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  4. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Training my synth to play funky polyrhythms on a Saturday night:

5. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hot enough for you? I think I might spend the rest of the day in the common hallway adjoining my apartment, where it is actually a good 30 degrees cooler. Still, I'll take this over wintertime.

Surely the ‘an occasional brief, melodic sound into deep, clear reverb; that in a busier setting’ thing is a hackneyed device by now, whether used by me or anyone. But “new toy” and all that, so there it is again in the first two pieces, with clean electric guitar-type sounds.

The last two pieces get into distorted, picked guitar and bass guitar sonic territory, but it’s all synthetic.

Late night, early morning:

6. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Again:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  7. ZachM

ZachM

Nov 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Man I like this stuff. I have wanted to get into modular for years now, but it seems that every time I scrape up enough money to get a start I have some emergency/bill/car breakdown that sets me back again. I guess I gotta learn to do stuff DIY so that money isn't so much of an issue.

Snaxster likes this.
  8. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello, Zach. Thank you! Though I never did the DIY synth thing, I hear that many people do it successfully; that it's what got the whole modular resurgence going. I hope you get your chance soon. You will. :thumbsup:

Pbassmanca likes this.
  9. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Today as I used the module ONE to play the Anthony Jackson library samples, the ticking artifact returned. So these recordings will stand, but I will retire ONE for now, since I don’t have time to fuss with it.

Anyways, some new synth music:

10. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Fretless fusion friends of funky

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018 at 7:06 PM
  11. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Unrelenting bass

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018 at 7:07 PM