modular vs. single head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by resol, May 17, 2005.

1. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    which would better serve me? :

1) sansamp BDDI* -> power amp** -> cab
    2) bass head -> cab

*sansamp BDDI as a preamp - good or bad? i've done a search and it seems that its pretty good, despite lower output than normal preamps
    **wat are some good power amps that do about 300-500W bridged at 8 ohms? looking for something inexpensive but solid - maybe peavey pv900, mackie m800 or crown XLS402?

the whole point is to reduce costs/get more power
  2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Try Crown or QSC, not sure about Peavey never used em, but I heard they are heavy.
  3. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    so the the modular idea is better? i'm deciding on whether to buy a new head, or just a power amp...
  4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Well, I'd suggest looking for a new head. There are some pretty great deals out there depending on what you're looking for. Since you're using a Sansamp, I think you are looking for a tubey sound. You can get a Traynor YBA 200 for $600. It is 200 all tube watts, about equal to 800 SS watts in volume. Many people on the thread like the Groovebass, about $500 (?). I'd personally take the Traynor, but both of these are good choices. If you want Hi-Fi, look at GK heads.
  5. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    the problem is, i'd like to get the most power/RELIABILITY out of my buck, and heads which are US$500+ are going to be out of my budget

my question is: would the sansamp driving a power amp be better than a cheap head, with perhaps a cheap inbuilt power supply?
  6. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I honestly think the BDDI isn't the best idea. Whilst it's a nice little box. It's not the most versatile option out there.
    You could pick up a Kustom Groove (I think your best bet) or a nice used amp. GK's are loud and reliable (especially older ones) and can be had used for cheap.