Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

modular vs. single head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by resol, May 17, 2005.

1. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    which would better serve me? :

1) sansamp BDDI* -> power amp** -> cab
    2) bass head -> cab

*sansamp BDDI as a preamp - good or bad? i've done a search and it seems that its pretty good, despite lower output than normal preamps
    **wat are some good power amps that do about 300-500W bridged at 8 ohms? looking for something inexpensive but solid - maybe peavey pv900, mackie m800 or crown XLS402?

the whole point is to reduce costs/get more power

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Try Crown or QSC, not sure about Peavey never used em, but I heard they are heavy.

3. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    so the the modular idea is better? i'm deciding on whether to buy a new head, or just a power amp...

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Well, I'd suggest looking for a new head. There are some pretty great deals out there depending on what you're looking for. Since you're using a Sansamp, I think you are looking for a tubey sound. You can get a Traynor YBA 200 for $600. It is 200 all tube watts, about equal to 800 SS watts in volume. Many people on the thread like the Groovebass, about $500 (?). I'd personally take the Traynor, but both of these are good choices. If you want Hi-Fi, look at GK heads.

5. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    the problem is, i'd like to get the most power/RELIABILITY out of my buck, and heads which are US$500+ are going to be out of my budget

my question is: would the sansamp driving a power amp be better than a cheap head, with perhaps a cheap inbuilt power supply?

6. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I honestly think the BDDI isn't the best idea. Whilst it's a nice little box. It's not the most versatile option out there.
    You could pick up a Kustom Groove (I think your best bet) or a nice used amp. GK's are loud and reliable (especially older ones) and can be had used for cheap.