Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by funkpunker, Dec 3, 2002.

1. hey folks, i was just wondering if there is such an fx unit that will let you change the key of the output, so if i played an E on the bass, the actual output would be a D or F, etc. do you know what i mean?! any help would be cool!
  2. ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    yep, it's called a capo:D

only kidding, tho this would work.

What I've done, which works pretty well it to use the pitch shifter on the GT6B.
    I can choose the appropriate interval (say a semitone up, to get an F from an open E), set the effected signal output to 100% and the dry signal to 0%.
    It doesn't sound perfect, but in a full band context, it has got me out a hole once or twice. Like when I've been playing a complicated chord structure from muscle memory, with a lot of open strings, then the singer decides after 6 months, the night before a gig, she'd rather do that song a semitone lower:mad:

In the long run tho, it's best to learn to play in any key. Practice 12 bar blues stuff in all keys. Then maybe other riffs and lines you're used to playing a lot in certain keys, move them up or down a notch. believe me, it really opens up the neck to easier playing.

If you regularly won't to play stuff in D tho, it might be worth considering a Hipshot D-tuner, or even a 5-string. The 5-string would probably be a better choice, as it opens up so many more possibilities, and you'll always have a spare bass, in case the main ne craps out.
  3. thanks dude, i have actually used a bapo on a bass before, i randomly decided to play along with our bands trumpeter and he has Bb tuning so i capo-ed on 6 :) was very entertaining if not in the slightest bit useful! i have only be playing bass for 2 years, and am totally self taught so i know basically no music theory, i am trying to sort it out as i go along, but its hard learning all the scales, and i dont have any money to buy books or nowt, and havnt been able to find a decent website to help me, so if you have any ideas or tips for me while you're at it... gimme a shout ;)
  4. I think the Boss Harmonizer does that key (pitch) shift thing, doesn't it?

One instructional bass site I know of is BassLobster:

Hope that's useful to you.
    ~ Charlie
  5. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    That's as much the fault of the trumpet player as it is yours. Anyone who plays a horn should know how to transpose to C.