Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

modulus 6 pickup combos (EMG vs. Bart)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by trainyourhuman, Dec 27, 2000.

1. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    I am thinking about a new Modulus bass to replace my lamented SR5, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about the differences in pickup combination. EMG? Bartolini? 2 or 3 band? Let me know... How does each of these combinations sound on Modulus basses?

2. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    Hope I can help, I spent a long time comparing endless basses before ordering a Quantum 4 Sweet-Spot w/ Lane-Poor p/u & Bartolini 3 bnd eq. First: Get the Bart. 3 bnd eq, period, It offers mega flexability but still easy to use on the fly. (Also it was only $50 more than the 2bnd) The volume knob realy works too. As for p/u's, my last bass had EMG, it was good for rock but was very hot or cold, nothing in between. Sometimes it just sounded muddy (but most of that was my bass). Nothing against the Bartolini but I wanted more flex. The Bart. could not do enough "grind" for me. I liked the Lane-Poor the best. SILENT, TRANSPARENT, and when mixed with the Bart. 3bnd it easily sounds like 4 totally different instruments; smooth jazz, rocknroll, a solid (not the best) funk, and that magic mid band add's cutting tube-like grind (with NO mud). Finally, consider the "sweet-spot" model (1 p/u) It is 150-250 cheaper, simplifies the electronics. I simply move my right hand to adjust the "attitude" of the sound (foreward= fat blues, rearward= cutting power (realy stands out during a guitar solo when the bass has to realy hold down the melody). This is where the slight sacrifice in thumb/funk came from, but it was worth it to me.

RGDS

3. trainyourhuman

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    My bass is going to have two pickups, EMGs, with the EMG 3band eq. I have played the Bart version, however, and preferred the sound of EMGs. I have an old p bass with an EMG in it and absolutely love it... I figured I cant go wrong with more.

4. trainyourhuman

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    I have never played a bass with the lane poor pickups. Can anyone out there give me a little backround on these? Does anyone out there have a modulus with Lane Poor pickups?