1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Modulus 6 String Lightwave!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by trainyourhuman, Apr 11, 2003.

1. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
  2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Cool--I've never seen a Lightwave Modulus before. However, this is a good example of why you should only get your name inlayed on a bass if you're sure you intend to keep it....

Mike

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Man, I am so curious about the lightwave on a fretted bass. I'm thinking of putting one on my next Nordstrand 6 string.

That Modulus looks great. I can't help but to laugh about the inlay. I guess you really never know.

4. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    Yeah, I bet Modulus would cut youa deal on a fretless neck though...

5. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Well, Modulus would probably sell you a fretless neck for it. "Cut you a deal" is a relative thing, since it won't be cheap. Quantum 6 necks aren't even in the catalog, but regular graphite Jazz replacement necks list for about $699--if Modulus would sell you a Quantum 6 neck, it would almost certainly be more than that.

Mike

6. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Redmond, WA
    Microsoft Product Designer
    my fretted lightwave.

[​IMG]

that mod looks incredible!

f

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    im sorry- i dont want to piss anyone off. but i tried a fretted lightwave fender and i didnt think it was happening.. for fretless, if you want a big round clear tone, it can't be beat- but i tried to get that "Jaco sound" and it wasnt there- just my observation Andy- make sure you try one before you have Carey do one for you-

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I definately appreciate the input Adrian. I indeed have not tried a lightwave. It's the option of using non metal strings that intrigues me. I already have one Nordstrand with the sound I've been dreaming of for a conventional bass and now I am thinking about a more "acoustic" sounding electric bass. The next one will be 3" thick and semi-hollow. I was thinking about the acousticore strings being an option.

9. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Redmond, WA
    Microsoft Product Designer
    i agree, the lightwave fretted doesn't exact a Jaco tone.

i describe it as more clear and bell like.

a unique voice for sure.

different than the fretless lw, but still appealing to me.

f

10. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    wouldn't the lightwave with frets create insane sustain? I would think it would since there is no magnetic field to disrupt the movement, and the string would be anchored over the fret nice and solid, especially on a composite neck....can anyone back this up or is it just some myth?

that modulus is purdy.....real purdy. mmmm...lightwavalicious.