Modulus alternatives

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davo737, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I've been playing quantum basses for a bit over a year now, and at the risk of soundling like a complete wuss, I'm still finding that the 35" scale starts getting a bit uncomfortable after I've been playing for a while. I've really been concentrating on my technique, making sure it doesn't get sloppy stretching for the lower registers, but it doesn't seem to help. Not exactly being the biggest guy in the world I'm sure doesn't help.

But anyway, I really love the sound and feel of the graphite, so was wondering how the 5 string flea basses compare to the quantum in terms of neck feel and sound (I've never been able to find one to play). Also, I guess I'd be interested in how the shape of Zon's necks compare (I've only been able to play 4 string Zons). Hope that all made sense.

Thanks for the help.

2. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    Zons are super basses...

They feel thinner from front to back than a Modulus, and while they are available in both 34" and 35" versions, the 34" is great and the B is super clear and tight. I have medium sized hands, and find the 5 strings absolutely perfect in terms of ergonomics.
  3. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Zons suck.
  4. oh boy :rolleyes:
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
  6. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I find it very difficult to understand how, especially if your Q5 is an older one, you are having trouble adjusting to a 35 inch scale. There's one more inch distributed, granted, a little unevenly between 24 frets. You do the math. What is your technique problem that's causing this issue?

I'm sorry. I've never played a flea bass 5 string (or 4 for that matter) so I can't contribute anything valuable in that part of the discussion. What are you having trouble adjusting to? I know if you sit camped out in first position for an entire song, with one finger per fret, all spread out, you're probably gonna be a hurtin' puppy, even on a 34 inch scale bass. That's why most bassists I've seen, even the "good ones" don't use but 3 fingers on their left hand at one time, 12and 4 or 13and4. If your technique is so sensitve to an extra 1/2 of distance within the first 5 or 6 frets, whatever 35 compared to 34 differential might be, you may want to see if you can try different fingerings in the lower positions.

better known as mr small to midland hand size!
  7. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    The thicker modulus neck could be giving him probs rather than the 35" scale. A Zon would help solve this issue.
  8. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    What works and what does not is a very subjective issue bassed on the likes and dislikes of the individual. I've owned both Zon and Modulus 5 strings and much prefer the feel of the Modulus neck to the pair of Zon 5's that I've owned.

I had one Sonus 34" and a Sonus Custom that had a 35" scale. The Zon necks did feel a little thinner from fingerboard to back of neck, however, they were also wider than the Modulus neck and less comfortable for me to play.

I also have small hands but play upright so I'm used to having to stretch. I find the difference between 34 and 35" scales to be very slight. I sure would not sell a Q5 that I liked just to get a 34" scale bass.

9. Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    Thanks everyone for replying. I think I should be a bit more specific. I bought an older ('91) used Q5, and I thought the neck was fantastic - a perfect fit for my hands - until it warped. I then bought a new Q5SS, and found that I much prefer the neck profile of the older models (not sure what year they changed them). The older models have thinner necks front to back, and the board seems to be a bit wider, but i'm not sure if that's actually the case, or if the shallower neck makes it feel that way. Anyway, the discomfort seems to be much more apparent with the newer Q5. Perhaps I jumped to conclusions, and neck shape is more the problem than length. But it pretty much leaves me in the same spot, seeing as how Modulus won't fix the old neck since I'm not the original owner (I'd have to get a newer neck, which I don't like as much, and pay something like $450 for it).

So, does my second rambling session help clear things up? Prolly not... :)