Modulus and Warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass2020, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Warwick Fretted, Modulus Fretless

13 vote(s)
  2. Warwick Fretless, Modulus Fretted

22 vote(s)
  3. Modulus Fretted, Modulus Fretless

18 vote(s)
  4. Warwick Fretted, Warwick Fretless

12 vote(s)
  1. bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I want a Warwick and a Modulus, both 5 strings.
    1 fretted, 1 fretless. Which would make better fretless? Which would make a better fretted?

The models I want are: Thumb N/T, Quantum.
  2. Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    Any particular reason you wouldn't consider a Warwick fretless and fretted or a Modulus fretless and fretted?

just wondering...
  3. bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN

I like the Thumbs and Quantums, I can't decide on 1 company.
  4. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

What if he doesn't use a pick?
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

FWIW, I've chosen Modulus fretted, Warwick fretted. :)
  7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

...but enough about me. I voted for Modulus fretted, Warwick fretless.
  8. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Modulus Fretted, Modulus Fretless for really high fidelity clean bass tone.

Warwick Fretted for a little mud, but still super clean.

Warwick Fretless for a growly, organic sound.

PS: I have 2 Moduli and a Warwick, all fretted. If I ever do fretless again, I'd be in this same predicament.

I'd say Modulus fretted, Warwick fretless if you have to decide on 2, fretted and fretless.
  9. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    go the the store and try em all out. which ever ones you think sound the best are the ones you should get. simple as that. :D i dont like warwicks and love modulus. so i know what i would pick. ;)
  10. JWBass

Jul 20, 2001
    Levittown, PA
    Modulus...There is no substitute.
  11. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Modulus fretted, Warwick fretless

Warwick woods got that smooth natural sound for most types of music. Cuts thru well, I would think.
  12. Have you played both brand's fretted/fretless models? When you do, I think the answer will be clear. With the quality of Modulus and Warwick, it comes down to a personal decision.

Good luck!
  13. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I actually have a Modulus fretted Q5 and a Warwick Streamer LX-6 fretless. I have had the Modulus a while and bought the streamer about two months ago I guess.

I like this set up the best. I haven't had the chance to play a Quantum fretless. I am sure they are nice, but something inside me wants to believe that all the great and wonderful things about that bass wouldn't transfer to fretless as well as all the great and wonderful things about Warwick do.

I have used the Streamer live about a 12-15 times by now I guess. I just can't imagine a better fretless sound. Very much Warwick. Very much fretless.

Overall I would say the two make a nice pairing without regard to the presence or absense of speed bumps. They are sort of on opposing ends of the tonal spectrum. Between the two basses, I can't imagine a situation that you couldn't get pretty close to the sound you are looking for.

Just a bit of shameless self edification:

14. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I recently found and acquired a used Q 5 fretless with a lined board.I like it a lot,it sounds tight and focused and is very comfortable to play.I've not had the opportunity to play on a fretless Warwick 5 string because the dealers around here only stock the most common models of Warwick,but I have played on the 4 string Corvette fretless and I think Modulus is better.
  15. If it were me: both Warwicks; I disdain the 35" scale. My recommendation to you however seems to be the majority opinion: Warwick fretless, Modulus fretted. "The Sound of Wood" is of course a marketing slogan, but it's also what the double bass is, and what most fretless players would aspire to. I have seen words like "organic" used to describe it. As one who has owned a Warwick fretless, I must say that it has been the best made and best playing of the several fretless I have had. Of course, like any unlined fretless, one must really woodshed a lot, and I never seem to have the time. My gigs requiring "mwah" are played on a lined Fender MIM Jazz.
  16. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'll have to read the chicken bones before I vote.
  17. Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    go with modulus fretted, warwick fretless.....and woodchuck, i dont think gard would like you quoting him, after all, i am his best friend.

speedbumps, eh? :cool:
  18. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I can't imagine being disappointed with a Modulus fretless to add to my fretted. However, I do like the Streamers, and would only get the a fretless Warwick based on past experience.