Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus/Bartolini Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Saint, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Does anyone know which Bartolini J-pickups Modulus uses in their Flea J4 and Vintage Jazz Basses? Is it the 9J1, 9J4, 9S, or the Classic Bass?

Thanks.

2. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    They've always said they use custom winds, but my VJ4 is a '97 and it came with 9J4s (clearly marked on the underside of the pu). But, if I'm not mistaken, Bartolini doesn't make the 9J4s anymore, so I'm not entirely sure what they use now.

Regards,
    Dave

3. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Thanks. I played what I think was a Flea J4 this weekend and it had a very unique "boing" to it. It almost sounded like it was processed through a chorus and compressor, but it wasn't. Very interesting.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I ran across an old post by a guy that stated he worked for modulus and that they used 9J4's in their PJ basses cause they had higher output than whatever the standard Bart J was at the time. 9CBJD's I think, which indeed are very cool pups but the lowest output pup I've run across to date. He made no mention of custom winding. He did state the 9J4's were quad coil pups. And I think he addressed them as 94J's, not 9J4's. But I'm dyslexic so maybe not. But 94J's is what I used in a google search to pull it up.

I had bought a set of them and was looking around trying to find some info about them. They are interesting pups and I've kept them out of preference over other Barts. If you're interested here's a review on them in Dimento's J experiment - listed as 94J's. There's no marking on the back of mine but the guy advertised them and 94J's - and they are different. I'm not sure about the boing part.

Addendum: read my own review which led me to the Bart site where I see we're talking about two different pups here. Which I knew at one point in time but too many pups since then.