1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Modulus bass

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Docdyno, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Docdyno

Docdyno

Jul 11, 2009
    Hello I'm new here and been around music and played in bands for years playing guitar and or bass. I bought a bass guitar back in the 80's and to my knowlege it is a Modulus. The only thing about this bass is the tuning keys are not on the neck but on the body. I have looked all over the web but have not found one like it. To my memory I think I seen it on the cover of Guitar Player Mag. a long time ago, HA that happends when you hit 60yrs.
    I wonder if anyone has information on this bass. I will attach a pic of it. If more are needed I can do that too. The bass Has Modulus on the neck but no Ser.#'s which is common for the age of this item.

Thank you
    Leon

Attached Files:

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi,

to the best of my knowledge, Modulus have never made a headless bass... or even a headless neck for anyone else's bass... So I'm intrigued by what it says on your bass... Is the neck graphite? Can you post a close-up picture of the wording? Would be good to see.

Beyond that, I've never seen a bass like it! :)

Steve

3. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    Never seen one like it and Ive seen alot. Steinberger inspired though if not a steinberger

4. jpmod

jpmod

Jun 25, 2009
    Builder:Modulus Graphite & J Perman Guitars
    Wow, I haven't seen one of those in a long time. It's a Modulus Flight 4 Bass. I'm guessing it was built in the early 80's. Back in those days the serial numbers were on the end of the heels in the neck joint(you have to unbolt the neck to see it).

5. Docdyno

Docdyno

Jul 11, 2009
    I have sent more pics. I bought this bass at a high end music store in the late 80's. They had it in a glass case. I'm with you about finding one like it. The neck is graphite. I'm wondering if Modulus cracked it out to see what happens?

Leon

Attached Files:

6. Docdyno

Docdyno

Jul 11, 2009
    Thank you for the info. I am going to contact Modulus to find out more.

7. StephenR

StephenR

May 21, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Have never seen one of these either. Picture below of Phil Lesh with the headless Modulus he was playing in 1987. Suggest you contact Geoff Gould, the bass you have would have been made while he owned the company not sure if there is currently anyone left at Modulus from the early years.

Attached Files:

8. Docdyno

Docdyno

Jul 11, 2009
    Thanks do you know his e-mail address?

9. Docdyno

Docdyno

Jul 11, 2009
  10. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    wow, it's fascinating to hear about these basses - very glad to be corrected about the Modulus-ness of the bass. I really like the look of Phil's bass there...

I think Andy West has a headless GGould bass. Geoff is still making lovely basses of his own.

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

11. Docdyno

Docdyno

Jul 11, 2009
    The information I am getting has been great. This is like Band Life where everybody adds to the end product. It's been a while but I still know how it feels when you look at the person playing next to you and there is only one smile and one feeling and it is only there. I wish everyone could do that just one time then they will know what a team really does.
    Thanks.
    Leon

ADHD likes this.
  12. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I believe Andy West played a 6 string Aria Pro II bass with a headless Modulus neck (and a whammy bar!) in the 80s in Henry Kaiser's "Crazy Backwards Alphabet" band.

Andy's one of the great under-rated players of all time. Many of his parts are outstanding. His playing on "Assembly Line" from the Dregs' "Industry Standard" is just ridiculous.:bassist:

Rozeg likes this.
  13. StephenR

StephenR

May 21, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Here is a picture of Andy playing a prototype headless G. Gould 5 string at the NAMM show a few years ago... Not sure if this model ever went into production or if Andy even owns it but he does have a number of Geoff's basses.

Great bass player...

Attached Files:

14. Docdyno

Docdyno

Jul 11, 2009
    WoW, this is getting interesting. It seems Geoff has been around and has created a lot of designs built off the Modulus idea. I have an e-mail off to him but no answer yet about my bass, could be he is busy or something. As soon as I get something I will post it.
    I found a friend Bule Grass is a member too. He is a good guy and knows a lot.

PS - Geoff is English for Jeff.

Leon

15. GeoffGould

GeoffGould Commercial User

Jan 10, 2004
    San Francisco
    owner of G. Gould Basses
    Well, I'm not English, but yes, Geoff is more common outside the US than Jeff. You guys are pretty good, having properly identified the Flight 4SP, Phil's headless bass, and Andy's headless bass (currently in limbo production here!) You have not mentioned the Flight 4 (and a couple of 5's) monocoque, which did the ultimate graphite unibody approach, and was briefly played by Jack Casady, until it was stolen. If you ever see a red one, let me know!

Rozeg likes this.
  16. Docdyno

Docdyno

Jul 11, 2009
    I thank you Geoff. Looking at the pic's I have sent is the bass I bought back in the 80's a Filght 4? I would like to know how to find the history on this item.
    Again thank you.
    Leon :hyper:

17. GeoffGould

Jan 10, 2004
    San Francisco
    owner of G. Gould Basses
    I'm not sure about how to establish the exact history, the model was called Flight 4 SP. Email me as much as you can remember about who you bought it from and when, and maybe something will click.

18. Docdyno

Docdyno

Jul 11, 2009
    I bought it at Arnald Williams brand new in Canton Michigan that is not there now. It came with the case. It caught my eye by it's shape and they had it in a glass display case. This was about 1986 or so.
    I hope this helps.
    Thank you.
    Leon

19. GeoffGould

Jan 10, 2004
    San Francisco
    owner of G. Gould Basses
    I believe the store name was Arnoldt Williams, so you are the first owner! We were on Folsom St in San Francisco back then. For those of you locals, it's now a trendy restauran, Lulu, near 4th St. You have the original case too, which was made by G&G in LA. Not much else to say. Has it stayed in good shape?