Modulus Basses???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Madball, Jan 11, 2001.

1. Hey anyone have a 'Modulus' Bass. I know that Flea use to play one...right?? Anyway, if anyone has does it feel to play? I've never had the chance to play one before, and am interested in them.
  2. G

Apr 12, 2000
    Modulus basses, in my opinion, are absolutely awesome. I currently have one on order from Bass Central in Florida. Of all the modulus basses I have played there has not been a bad one... Very consistent. I am, however, excluding the Flea bass. This is the only exception to the modulus rule. My personal favorites are the quantum series, with the bartolini electronics and the vintage j bass with the aguilar preamp. I suggest you find a place to try as many as you can. You will not be dissappointed.
  3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Second what G said....super basses, very consistent. I've owned several and only sold them due to the fact that I've been doing rootsier gigs and needed old-school looks and tone. Wish I had all my Mods back, though. No experience with the Flea bass, however. I'd also go with the Quantums..much more versatile.
  4. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I owned the Quantum for 1-1/2 years and am afraid I cannot agree with most of the comments above. I will agree that in my experiences, most Modulus instruments are consistent from one another.

But, I personally found the bass to be lacking in sound quality. It was very clear. But, I thought the attack to be way too much, and I play a Spector now, so that REALLY says a lot!!! In addition, I found the fundamental to be a bit thin and brittle.

In short, I listened to some board-recordings of my old band, and noticed that the attack came through like a sledge-hammer, but the fundamental was barely present, and there was NO fundamental at all on the D and G strings!

Shortly after that, I traded my Modulus in towards my Spector NS-4 and found that it's a far better instrument, at least for me.
  5. G

Apr 12, 2000
    I was having this same problem when deliberating over which bass was to replace my lamented SR5. I played the various combinations, and found that the Bartolini electronics (pickups and 3band EQ) offered up far more fundamental than the EMG set. I was still not quite pleased, so I also specified a wooden fretboard, granadillo. With the midrange control and the wooden board, you gain quite a bit of warmth and fundamental without loosing the trademark Modulus aggresiveness. This, however, can also be dialed back. This is the best bass for live music that I have ever seen or played, save the flea bass. It is also excellent for recording, though I would still probably use my old Fenders, and just tune them as the song dictates... We'll see when the new Q6 arrives!
  6. I like all of the Modulus basses I have played, but I felt they didn't have a "signature" sound or tone. Just nothing really distinctive about them in my opinion. They play really great though, and they are comfortable.
  7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Modulus basses are great if you happen to like the neck. If you don't, you won't want to get near one. I, for one, prefer my Zon and Steinberger. they feel more natural to me. YMMV.

Will C.:cool:
  8. I personally love Modulus basses. The graphite neck is certainly not for every one but I love the added attack that it and the phenolic fingerboard add. The Quantum 5 is the perfect bass IMO.

That being said, anyone have $1800 I can borrow :D.
  9. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Spend a bit more, buy a Spector NS-4...You'll get the same attack, more growl, and more character in your tone:)
  10. I have an old (late '90) SPi 4 with EMGs that was my main bass from when I got it in '94 until '99 when I got my StingRay 5.

The neck, if you don't mind the feel of graphite, is excellent IMO - Slim w/excellent string spacing. The tone is a matter of taste - it has none of the gutsiness of my 'Ray or growl of my Jazz but it is v. well defined. Through a sansamp and Bass 350 with a pick it was excellent for rock. I believe that Bartolini's are much warmer but less well defined.

Try one, you might like it.
  11. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    Tone and feel are almost too subjective to even deliberate about, but here are a few things i've noticed:
    -the 3 bnd eq is a must have (vs the 2bnd) period.
    -the EMG's that most of the Moduli I saw are far inferior to the Lane-Poor of Bartolini equiped versions.
    -the granadillo (wood) fingerboard is very nice, feels good and warms up the tone.
    -nothing beats the durability of the graphite neck, I had a lot of problems in the past and this is great.
    -LAST AND MOST IMPORTANT, if you like the tone, attack, flexability, and rock-solid construction great. But, there is a price to pay: these instruments are VERY sensitive. I think the medium (vs jumbo) size frets have something to do with it. But, fingering must be clean and precise, there is no playing faster than your realy able on these.

-Bottom line, Moduli are excellent: live, multi purpose, can only afford one nice basses.