Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vorago, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Howdie everyone,

I recently noticed that Flea plays Modulus basses nowadays, and the bassplayer of Cannibal Corpse plays them too...So, anyone here has one? Experience? Comments?

Greetings

2. I've got a Modulus Quantum 6. I like it but I'm selling it because the neck is not for me...the shape rather, because I happen to like the sound of graphite necks.

Also, try using this:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/search.php?s=

:smug:

3. Flea plays a modulus flea bass. I know the rep of modulus very well. He used to be my bass teacher.

I have quantum 5 and love it. I've also played the flea model. Because they are graphite neck basses they will sound cold. With a good preamp this can be fixed. They are very strong basses. VERY STRONG. They are great for slapping. They are very light weight and very comfortable.

The only real down side to these basses is that they don't have a super warm tone and they are pricey.

4. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    People do describe the sound of graphite as "cold" or whatever . . . Don't let these descriptions turn you off until you play one or at least hear one for yourself.

Yes, it does sound different than a wood neck, but I would rather say that it has a sound of its own instead of saying that it is lacking something. It has a very clean tone, with an aggressive bite to the attack of the note. As with any other bass, you can use a preamp to shape the tone, but the characteristics of the graphite will still be apparent.

One major benefit to these basses is the neck simply does not move at all. Wood necks need readjustment as the seasons change, if you change tunings, or even if you use a different brand or gauge of strings. I've had all these conditions with my Modulus and the neck hasn't moved a bit.

I've had a Flea 5 for over a year and I love the tone. I am selling it because I've decided I prefer a 4-string neck to a 5, otherwise I'm pretty sure I would keep it around, and I will probably get a 4-string Flea at some point in the future.

5. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    i first heard a modulus in the warmup on my cannibal corpse dvd... i was impressed by alex websters tone durring the little jazz thing he did durring the sound check, so i did som searching about modulus basses. after searching ebay for a few months i found a lefty modulus jazz & canvinced my parents to buy it for me as an early christmas present & it is a beutiful looking & sounding instrument. i would not give my modulus for anything. they are sweet basses

6. Modulus makes great instruments. If you gig a lot, you will love the graphite neck! I've played them in 28 degree weather in South Louisana (so it was cold and humid!) and didn't have a single tuning issue.

My guitar player...he wasn't so lucky with his strat. ;)

The Flea is a good bass and will definitley get the job done! If you have the extra $$ give the Quantum a shot before you commit.

The Quantum will have a more modern tone. A lot more volume in the preamp and is definitely more of a long term versatile instrument that can pull off a lot of styles.

I like the way davidmwilson (below) put it when he said the FB is a "one trick pony". I think that's fairly accurate, but still a nice bass for it's price range.

Take care,
    James

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have a Q5. In 18 years of playing, I have owned somewhere around 25 basses and probably played 10x that many, and IMO, there is no bass out there that I like better or I would see as obviously superior in quality.

Sure there are some that have particular features that are different and desirable, but I would equate them all to taste or preference.

8. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I just traded me Sadowsky RJ5 for a Modulus Q5 w/ EMG pickups and pre-amp. The RJ5 was just a little too bright and hard to define in the mix (of my old band and old church worship team). The modulus is the complete opposite for me. It has a commanding tone. It is still bright, but w/ the sweepable mids and trebble cut I can get great tones that can cut nicely but stay "musical." Honestly, I haven't used this bass in a gig yet (no band!), but I'm sure it will work out great.

The Q5 is my second modulus, I had a flea 5 for awhile. I dumped the flea 5 on a whim because I wanted a Jazz style instrument (the above mentioned RJ5). The flea 5 was just too "in your face" for the music I was playing at the time, although with tone shaping on my amp head, I probably could have fixed this. Let's just say this isn't a bass that fits in at my old church :) . I do prefer the 35" scale of the Q5, but the flea was pretty darn comfortable. I'd try before you buy, I just got lucky that I like the Modulus tone. Granted, I also wanted something completely different than my MTD 535.

Here are some props for Modulus: The guy I bought the modulus from accidentally got the bass wet when he was shipping it to me. It was a couple weeks ago when the east coast got pounded by rain. Well, the bass made it, but the neck bolts rusted. I called Modulus, and when I finally got someone on the phone (which took several tries), the said they would send me stainless bolts for free. Wow! Doing this for free, and I'm not even the original owner, it awesome!

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I have a Flea 4, and love it to bits.

As Sean said, it's definitely "in your face" and probably not best suited to a jazz gig :)

Mine has amazingly low action, it's a definite slap monster but also great for cutting fingerstyle/pick sounds. And with the blue sparkle finish, it's not too shabby to look at either. I upgraded mine to put an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp in it, so I could get mid cut/boost also.

I've a hankering to try out the Quantum 5, I'm sure they're much more versatile than the Flea's. To quote the old cliche, the Flea is a bit of a one trick pony - but it's a hell of a trick.

10. I don't own a Modulus, but I tried a Q5 at the Guitar Center in NYC. Now I am a die-hard Fender style fan, but I picked one up out of curiosity and wound up really liking it. The sound was different from what I'm used to, but the tones were all very usable. It was a bit compressed but sounded great for fingerstyle or slapping. Every note was even and the action was superb. I didn't care for the EMG pickups too much, but they still sounded good. I'd definitely consider picking one up used if I could get a good deal. I wouldn't be playing any old school r&b with it, but it would work well with most other gigs.

11. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I first noticed Modulus in '97 when Mike Gordon (Phish bass god) started using their basses. It really allowed him to be more prominent in the mix, leading jams more often and whatnot. The slap tone is unbelievable. I've had a Quantum 5 for a little over a year now and just love it.

12. rob_d

rob_d

Jun 14, 2001
    I just got a Q6 a couple months ago. I was a diehard Fender Jazz guy, but like the post above, Modulus was brought to my attention when Mike Gordon started playing one. Then I heard Dave Schools from Widespread Panic playing one and I liked his tone on it even more. The final domino was toppled when I saw Alphonso Johnson live and he was playing one. When I finally tried one for myself I knew I had to have it. It took me a while to save up but I'm very happy with my purchase.

By the way, if the EMG's aren't your style, these also come with Bartolinis. For a refrence point, Gordon uses EMG's and Schools uses Bartolini's. Not sure about Alphonso...I can't recall and didn't know what Modulus came with at the time anyways. You can definitely hear the difference in tone. I'm not saying one is better then the other..that's prefrence. I prefer the Barts and that's what I got.

13. I've got a Genesis 5 and I LOVE IT! The tone is immense and very versatile. The string spacing is very comfortable for me. It records well and sounds wonderful. Thanks again to Woodchuck for having it for sale for me at the right time :)

14. zeh

zeh

Jul 11, 2003
    Lisbon , Portugal
    I own a Modulus flea bass 4 strings with aguilar pre amp and seymour duncan MM pickups , and go with my word , this bass kicks ass , I was going for a musicman , but when I tried this one it had me on the first note , clean clean sound , great slaping sound , very powerfull output , Just try one ! :cool:

15. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I have a Modulus Q5 with Lacewood body, I do not like it because I play 4 strings only. I have it now because the previous owner
    took my modded Jazzbass, and left this Modulus and the next day he said he didnot want to return the Jazz. So I put this Modulus in the closet and never use it.
    Anyway I found that graphite neck sound is 'dry'.
    Last year I bought a Status Empathy 4 and sold it again a week later.

16. zcwilkes

zcwilkes Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Barboursville, WV
    I have a 93' M-92 5-string, which sort of like a sweet spot, but it has a pickguard. It has one of the older Quantum necks that don't have a truss rod. I have never had a problem with it. Before I got a Modulus I heard all the crap about them being "cold" sounding. I think the truth is they just sound different, not better , not worse, just different.

17. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Alex Webster got rid of his Modulus (Gard and the boys at BC had it for a while). He plays Czech Spector(s) now.
    He did have good tone back in the Modulus days.
    Dave Ellefson of Megadeth good decent tone out of his...just not in the best Megadeth material ;)

18. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I have owned many basses and none have the tone and the playability of my Mod Q5. The key to any bass is would I sell it for something else. No I wouldn't. Couldn't.

19. GrandMarkie

GrandMarkie

Feb 7, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    I just received my Q5 about 8 hours ago. This thing is REDICULOUS! Incredible is the only way to describe it. Very versatile. Extremely gorgeous. I couldn't be happier! Invest in one of these!

20. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    What are the specs? Just curious if you got the EMGs or Barts.