Modulus basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IanM, Apr 2, 2004.

1. IanM

Apr 2, 2004
    Hi everyone, I'm new to the site, so excuse me if I post in the wrong section :D

I've been playing for 7 years on and off and I'm looking to buy a nice bass. A really nice bass. But not too nice (whatever $3000 will get me). I was wondering what everyone thought of Modulus basses? There aren't any local stores that carry them, and I wouldn't want to get them to ship one in if I tried it and didn't like it. Any help would be appreciated!
  2. robe

Oct 19, 2003
    modulos basses are pretty awesome,
    hey, flea uses one
  3. i just wanted to say that just because some artist plays a bass it doesn't mean its right for you
    many people really dislike the way flea's signature model sounds in their hands
    you REALLY need to play basses before you buy them IMO.
  4. mybluespector

Mar 22, 2004
    Joplin, Mo
    But so are alot of other basses in that price range! That would be enough for a warwick dolphin pro. Or a usa made spector,heck thats open for alot of damn nice basses!
  5. IanM

Apr 2, 2004
    for example?
  6. mybluespector

Mar 22, 2004
    Joplin, Mo
    pedulla,ZON,G&L,fender,conklin,ken smith,lakland i will let others give a few!
  7. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    If you like the idea of the composite neck in the modulus, then you should also check out ZON. They have comp necks too and I think they sound nicer. You could probably get a nice sonus with a few custom options for less that $3,000.
  8. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    for $3000 I would get a Sadowsky
  9. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    That is the one thign driving Modulus basses is their graphite necks. I play a Modulus Q6 and the next was amazing as was the sound. Basically when you get into that high of a price range, everything will be excellent in terms of quality, tone, appearence. For a Modulus try the Quantums out, they really do rock.

Bass Central has a 3 day trial period which is awesome as is their selection of basses,

Gard, any comments? :D
  10. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    You could find a used Fbass, or even a new one.
  11. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Modulus bass are certainly good. If you travel a lot and are going to subject your instrument to a great deal of varied climate changes, I'd certainly recommend a Modulus. You really should check out a Roscoe. I've owned a lot of high end basses over the years and they've all come and gone but my two Roscoe's are still in my music room. Best low "B" I've heard! Go to
    Great sounding and playing basses!
  12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have owned a few Modulus basses and if I didn't have family obligations, I would buy another. I like the way Modulus basses sound. I love the way the notes ring out, and their B strings ring like grand piano notes. I also love the set it up and forget about it nature of a graphite neck too. Modulus also makes some great Jazz style basses. My favorite has a maple fingerboard and a mostly maple neck with a 1/4" thick strip of graphite that runs the entire length of the fingerboard. This bass is pure slap machine that I would much rather have than the Flea model.
  13. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Modulus are fine basses.
    I had a Mod. Flea bass with Lane Poor pickup.
    Great bass wish I never sold it.
  14. OUCH. And why did you do that?
  15. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    With a budget like that you should take your time and play as many basses as you can IMO. If you don't live near a high end dealer do some research and find out where the nearest one is. All of them will make arrangements with you to spend some serious time playing the basses they have available. If you go the buy it on line route you may end up spending time and extra money in shipping costs in the long run trying to find the bass you really like and is right for you. Having said that definately look at some Zon basses if graphite is the way you want to go. Ken Smith, Roscoe and Elrick would also be on my list. Best of luck!!
  16. I like Modulus basses, don't get me wrong.

But I think they're overpriced. They're overpriced b/c they have a graphite neck (or carbon fiber, whatever you want to call it, I'm not going to quibble over semantics).

A graphite neck is a solution in search of a problem. The problem is neck warpage. There is an economical and tried-and-true solution to neck warpage, and it's called a laminated wood neck. There is an expensive, boutique solution to neck warpage, and it's called a graphite neck.

Except in applications where saving weight is critical, such as auto and bicycle racing, I'm suspicious of materials with a "wow factor" like carbon fiber, graphite, etc.

Even if a graphite neck is slighntly more stable than a laminted wood neck, that's a lot of money to pay just to save a few turns on a truss rod once in a while.

I anticipate that someone will respond that graphite necks provide unique sonic properties which wood cannot provide. If so, why not buy a bass with a graphite body too, and get it over with?

There was a recent poster who had a problem with his graphite neck "sinking" (I won't name the manufacturer, but it begins with "Z"). Laminted wood technology has been around for centuries (yes, centuries). Graphite is relatively new technology. You pays your money and you takes your chances.
  17. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee

Ken Smith, ZON, Roscoe and Elrick are each worth a try!
    Zon is a definate winner in the graphite neck department IMO.

And, Mr.Goody
    Joe will make any repairs necessary and makes great stuff, bottom line. He coordinates many different types of sounds in his construction process (angles and such). Many tb'rs will agree that his basses have stood the test of time in many cases. Even laminate wood will warp if put under extreme conditions.
  18. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I for one find Modulus basses to be too heavy. I also think that their tone is very sterile. Just my opinion, but worth a consideration if you are going unplayed. I would also recommend trying out as many as you can before buying. $3000 will take you quite a ways! BTW, where are you located? I'm sure there must be a TB'er somewhere in your proximity that might have something that will spark your interest, or at least a store...
  19. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    mod are nice. I love how they play; but for me they are to sterile. just my 2 cents. for that kind of money buy a Roscoe.
    Keith and the gang make an incredible ax. :bassist: Go for purpleheart in the neck...solid as a rock IMHO. Maybe I am in lucky or what in 17 years playing I have never had a neck warp.... lucky I guess.
    Keep the Funk Alive...
  20. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    He may be willing to make said repairs, but the fact remains that the repair should never have been necessary. How "extreme" should these conditions be for the multilaminate woods warping?

One bonus of graphite necks can also be a bad thing -- what if you want to change your action beyond the bridge saddles? Oh, sorry, no truss rod. Remember, you didn't need it. You've got a graphite neck!

Bleh. Graphite may or may not be more stable, but I know I'd find it limiting. Just not for me.

IanM: Play as many instruments as you can...remember, $3000 is a LOT to blow on an instrument you didn't get to try before you bought it and end up not liking. Or something more grammatically correct than that. But you get my point :).