Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by btb&dr=tone, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Let me here your opionin on them. I have my mind made up just want to see other think of them.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    You can find out what everyone in the history of TB has said about them if you search the Archive.

I have played a Modulus Jazz and the A, D, and G strings were very clean, but the E string sounded really funny. I chaulked it up to a messed up string though.

Definitely wouldn't pay what the store wanted for it.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Talkbass has a very lovely feature called "Search" where you can search through the thousands of posts about everything all over this site.. You know how many times modulus is mentioned? Use a search to find out :).

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    apart from the whole 'use the search' thing, you need to narrow it down a bit - Modulus make many different basses (VJ, the Q series, Flea etc). Kind of like asking "What are Fender's like?" :p

5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I don't mind answering, I own a Quantum 4, I've only tried one other Modulus series, a Flea model, which IMHO is a great bass. I have'nt tried the VJ series, but I'd imagine they're a nice bass too.

I love my Modulus Q-4. It's my favorite 4 string, and my main stage bass. It's got EMG 35CS soapbars and the EMG BQS 3-band EQ. I'm able to get a lot of great sounds out of it. It's also a very comfortable bass for me to play. I think it's alder body/graphite neck are a good combination, the bass has tons of attack. It's a bit bright sounding, but not too bright. I'm very happy with how it sounds, plays and feels. If you've tried many brands of basses and you're convinced the Modulus is your tone, buy one.

There's usually a few for sale on Ebay, so it's possible to find a good deal.

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I owned a Fles bass, with lane Poor pickup.
    One of the best fretted basses I have ever owned.

7. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    It never ceases to amaze me that people who come to a discussion forum tell somebody to do a search. Go figure!

At any rate, back to your question. I have a Q5 that I bought about a year and a half ago after a lengthy and extensive search for a high end bass. Early in the game I ruled out the Q5 because the three I auditioned all had EMGs and a phenolic fingerboard which I did not like. Later I found a Q5 with Barts and a Chechen F/B and it was "Wow-this is the one". The Mod sound is a bit of an acquired taste (largely because of the graphite neck) but it just gets better every day.The Modulus is about clarity rather than warmth. Having said that, one man's clarity is another man's sterile. One man's warmth is another's muddy.

I'm a decades long Fender guy who has done a 360 on tone. The clarity of the Mod caused me to re-evaluate my thinking on amps too. So I've gone from Fender/Eden thinking to Modulus/Euphonic Audio. Talk about clean and focused. Most other rigs I try now seem to have a blanket thrown over the tone. That's not a big deal when practicing alone bit it is a huge difference in the band mix. And, with Modulus you can have a little of both with their Jazz Bass/Graphite neck hybrid.
    As for playability, the Q5 is just a dream to play. I even like to practice more "because" of the playability.

8. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
  9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    It would help to know which model you are asking about, as was already stated.

With that said, I own a Quantum 5 with the Bart pups/preamp and have been totally happy with it. The only thing I would consider getting rid of it for would be a Roscoe, but that's a whole other story there.

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Big Modulus fan here. I've had a Q6 for a while now and wouldn't part with it. I recently bought a VJ4 but haven't received it yet. Very well-made and the tone that has been discussed. I like the Q6 for its playability, clarity of tone and rock steady neck that never changes with the weather and doesn't seem to have any noticeable dead spots.

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have owned a couple of Modulus basses and if I could afford another one at this time, I would buy it in a heartbeat. I love the forget about it nature of carbon fiber necks. You don't have to worry about a Modulus neck shifting or warping when traveling and weather means absolutely nothing to the Modulus neck. Some people say CF feels cold, but I've never had a problem with them. I love the tone and sustain that Modulus basses have. I also think that Moduluses have absolutely killer B strings. I also think that Jazz Bass style Moduluses are easy to play and sound great also.

I would like to say that all the people who jump up and tell someone to use search the moment someone asks a question undermine the idea of a discussion forum. The reality is that most questions or topics have been discussed in one form or another before. If we followed the logic used used by some, there would be very little new discussion on the forums. I happen to like talking about basses and I don't mind posting about something more than once. If I don't want to post, I ignore the thread. :cool:

12. modflea

modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    I own a Flea 4 that has served me faithfully for a few years now. After trying lots of basses, it's the "one" for me. It has the perfect weight, feel, and tone that I was looking for. I can't really feel any difference between the CF neck and any other polished neck out there. Now oil finish is another story. It's in no way going to feel like that. I had a fretless Stingray with the oil finished neck and there is a difference. But compared to my '92 Precision Plus, I can't really feel that big of a difference. If you prefer the neck to feel "woody" don't bother. But it's reliable, I've never had to worry about the neck warping (something to definitely consider for outdoor gigs and any other drastic weather transitions), the tone is great (Bartolinis in mine, wish they were Lane Poors :scowl: ). Now what's great for me might not apply to anybody else, but the Fleas get my vote. I have also played a Quantum 5 and I have to say it's also a phenominal bass.

And if I had the dough, I'd buy davidwilson's Flea 5 he's got for sale right now!

13. i played someone else's modulus VJ 4 on wednesday, and i agree about the neck.

for whatever reason, i just couldn't get comfortable on this guy's bass -- it felt too stiff to me. i'm not about to attribute that to the composite neck, but that may be why. regardless, i'm not going to write off the whole line because of one bass.

this was also the first time in my life where i've run into someone who had grossly less talent than expensive gear. but that's another story...

robb.

14. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hi all, new to TalkBass. Speaking of the Modulus necks, has anyone tried one their satin finish necks? If so, did you find it more comparible in feel to traditional wooden necks with a satin finish?

15. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    My Q-4's neck has a satin finish,( or I should say had, it gets played so much, it shines now! :cool: ). It feels very comfortable, similar to another bass I have that has a tung oil finish on the neck.

16. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I've played many and ended up with one. I like the responsiveness of the neck and the bite that comes from graphite.

17. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I have played many many high end basses and highly recomend the Quantum bass. This bass has one of the best B strings of all. Of all of the basses that I have gone through I have held on to my Q5 the longest. The tone and feel are different than anything I have ever played, the tone actually took a while to get used too;the distinct tone of these basses is unmistakable. I switch back and forth between woodneck basses and my Q5 for variety; sometimes only woodtone will do. Also another plus to the CG neck is that if you are traveling to a completely different environment you dont have to worry about the neck warping. I live in Arizona and sometimes travel from an environment that is 2% humidity to 60% humidity in the period of an hour. When I do I take the Modulus so I will not have to worry about my instrument going out of whack.

18. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I've owned alot of basses, and I have to say that modulus really does a good job of building basses. The modulus basses I have owned have been superior in build quality to any of the other basses I have owned. The only other one that was anywhere close was the Lakland 55-94 I owned for a short time.

I first got a Modulus Flea 5 used off of ebay. Very nice bass. I can't remember what pickup it had, probably an SD or Bartolini. The pre-amp was definitely a two band aguilar, which was pretty decent. I ended up selling it because I wanted a jazz style bass.

Now I traded that jazz style bass (a Sadowsky Tokyo) for a Q5, in brand new shape. I really like this bass. I do find the phenolic fingerboard a little clacky with stainless steel strings, but a set of D'Addario Slowounds solved that problem. Mine has EMGs as well, which I don't find overly harsh. I actually like 'em. My Q5 weighs a little more than I expected, but it sits well on a strap and is pretty comfortable to play (standing). Seated, it is a little stretch to the first position, if you don't wear a stap.

19. So when I'm talking to you in the coffee shop one day, and I bring up the topic of Modulus basses, are you going to tell me to go search through life and find conversations like that because you've already talked about it? I don't think so...Why should it be different on the internet? Redundant posts do get annoying, so don't keep topping it by telling them to search, they'll figure it out eventually.

20. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Z Bass, my Q5 has a satin finish neck and I love it. It is just a little smoother than the gloss neck. I have giged with both the satin neck and the gloss neck. When your hands are dry the gloss neck sticks a little and the satin neck is smooth. On the flipside when your hands are wet the gloss neck glides and the satin neck has more traction. Either way I do not know anyone who has had a problem with either one of them, personally the gloss neck looks cool because you can see the carbon fiber layup alot better.